I have a few questions about ORK's grid system. For the game I am working on, my goal is to make it possible for players to be able to start grid battles on almost any location on our large overworld map, and for the battle to play out on the spot where the characters are standing. Ideally, in any location that a grid battle might start the characters would simply be able to start the battle in the closest available grid spaces to where they are standing. However, I guess I may be pushing the limits of the grid battle system by doing this

Basically, if I try to create a grid that is large enough to give an enemy a comfortably large area to wander around in the ORK editor slows down to a crawl. I have had test runs of my game crash when trying to use grids that are as small (well, relatively speaking) as 40x40. So, here are a few questions I have to see if what I'm trying to do here is even possible.

1. Is there a recommended maximum size for a battle grid?

2. Is it possible to generate a battle grid on the fly using a function? I figure that if I can do this, then I don't have to worry about covering my maps in grid spaces. However, I have not been able to find anything in the API that would give me access to the functionality of the "generate grid" button that I can use in the unity editor. Is this something I would have to do manually?

Thanks in advance!
  • edited December 2016
    If I understand your situation correctly, you are definitely able to generate a grid "on the fly" at a specific area, within a specific size. On your overworld map, if you were using move AI/hunt AI the enemy combatant could chase your combatant down, then trigger a battle and use the nearest grid.

Or on your overworld map, if you designated a specific portion of your map as a battle area, when your combatant collides it will trigger a battle and use the nearest grid to.

If this is what your after, it's covered in the grid tutorials.

Post edited by Bantichai on
  • 1) The problem with editing large grids is just the amount of cells/game objects that are used, e.g. your 40x40 grid is 1600 cells, i.e. 1600 game objects being created, cell prefabs spawned and handlers (for manipulating the objects) being displayed. In-game it shouldn't be that much of a problem, as they're already generated in the scene.

I'll look into it to make editing larger grids easier.

Currently, I'd recommend setting up multiple small grids in your scenes and using the nearest grid functionality.

2) No, that's currently not possible, I might add this in future updates.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks for the clarifications! Worse comes to worse we can just have the battles move to another area on the overworld map, I was just thinking that it would make the game a more immersive if I could make the battles actually happen on the map itself. I'll experiment with my options a bit.