edited April 2016 in ORK Support
I have a shortcut bar of abilities that uses the Use Click To Use setting. When no target is selected though it doesn't quite operate as I'd expect.

So if I click on an ability shortcut and I have no target selected it's supposed to bring up the target selection - in my game target selection is done by clicking but it won't allow me to then click on a target. Instead it seems to bring up some sort of hidden menu that lets me select targets - that is, if I use the arrow keys I can hear that there are options being selected, and if I hit enter it will actually select a target.

But how can I make it so that when I click an ability shortcut, if no target is selected I can then click on a target?

I should add that when I don't have the Use Click To Use setting enabled, my targeting works correctly in that I can click the shortcut, then click on a target to use it on that target.
Post edited by Juryiel on
  • That's most likely the target selection menu, you can disable it in Battle System > Battle Settings > Target Settings by disabling Use Menu in the Target Selection settings.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Use Menu is already disabled in my settings - is it possible that Use Click To Use doesn't respect the Mouse target selection settings? It's the only time in target selection that this happens - I'll keep looking around for other possible missed settings though.
  • Click use will trigger the target selection only when not using group/individual/auto targeting. E.g. if you have Use Auto Target enabled and the ability uses auto targets, it'll automatically select a target based on the auto target settings.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited April 2016
    Sorry I think I'm conflating different parts of target selection in talking about this making it confusing.

There's the use mouse to set individual targets type of targeting - that's all set up fine and works.

Then there's how the shrotcut hud works. When I don't have Use Click To Use enabled, I can click on a shortcut, then click on a target, and that shortcut ability is used on the target. I would like to now have the following behavior.

1. When I have an individual target selected and I click on a shortcut, it should use that shortcut on the target - Use Click to Use does this and works fine.
    2. If I don't have an individual target selected, it should default to letting me click on a target just as it does when Use Click to Use is not enabled, rather than some sort of keyboard-driven selection. This part of the behavior I'm not able to get.
  • For this behaviour, you'll need to enable Use Individual Target and disable Use Click Use. This will use the ability on individual targets if available, otherwise trigger the use behaviour that's used when click use is disabled.

Click use will trigger the same behaviour as when you'd select an action in the battle menu. If click use is disabled, it's the drag+drop mechanic (based on the setup of the Shortcut HUD element).
  • Ah there we go, thanks :D

I ran into this because I changed settings to accommodate some abilities that I did want to be 'use click to use' and forgot about it. E.g. I wanted a small number of abilities that would just activate as 'Point Blank Area of Effect' Abilities so that when you click their shortcut there is no target to select, just anyone within X distance from the user will be affected.

Hmm I wonder how I can have both types of abilities (e.g. ones where if you don't have a target you can click on one, and also ones that activate when their shortcut is clicked and auto-select and accept targets based on something like their auto-target settings)
  • You'd need to use auto target settings for this, even when not using the automatically selected target (e.g. just spawning a prefab with a damage dealer on the user).
  • edited April 2016
    Yeah that's what I'm trying to do but I think last I checked, the 'Auto Target' setting in the shortcut hud will select auto targets even when no settings are present for an ability. So the abilities that I want to work by allowing you to click on a target will be automatically used on, say, the closest target. So it doesn't allow me to have both types of abilities.

I guess the overall behavior should be something like - on click of shortcut hud:

1. If ability has auto target settings, use ability on the auto target
    2. If it does not have auto target settings enabled but there is an individual target selected, use ability on the individual target
    3. If neither of these is true allow user to click on the target

But I'm not sure how to accomplish something along these lines
  • Hm, I get your problem ... I'll look into it when I'm back (i.e. after April 25).
  • Sounds good, thanks !
  • Yeah ... I've forgot about that :D
    Will look into it!
  • That should already be in there since ORK 2.8.0 - the Auto Target Only setting in HUDs and control maps :)
  • Ah sweet! I must have missed the notes! Just tested it and it works great, thanks!