Delving into the way ORK deals with combat, I'm hoping for some advice on the best route to take in order to get it to do what I want. Here's my combat procedure, as I'd like to run it:

1) User attacks. Looks like I'll need to do this by way of a battle ability, even for my base attack. No worries there.

2) I need to check to see whether a consumable stat called 'Initiative' exists in a required amount. I also need to check for which equipment slot a combatant is using to attack (Left hand, Right hand, Both hands) to determine which stat (Heft_Lhand, Heft_Rhand, Heft_2Hands) is added as part of the required initiative by a weapon being swung-or poked-whatever. Then I need to subtract that amount before proceeding.

3) I also need to select a certain amount of Stamina, a portion of which will also be determined by the weapon being used.

4) Calculate Node. So, I guess this references the ability that calls an event to begin with, and runs whatever calculation steps are assigned to said ability? Is that right?

5) Assuming I've figured step 2 correctly, I should be running a formula chain that creates a random number between one and twenty, then adds to it a bonus from my stats. here's where I'm afraid things are going to start coming unraveled.

6) Once the To-Hit procedure is rolled, I need to determine if a roll was critical or not by checking if the value of the random number was greater than X, and X might vary depending on certain equipment, skills and abilities. I think the Calculate Node and Ability itself can determine this by referencing the random number generated inside my formula chain, if I make that a step separate from the assigned bonus. It's important, though, that it actually check the original number generated as part of the To-Hit chance, rather than generate it's own number by running the formula.

7) I need an option to determine critical failure as well if the number is below a certain value. Since I have three additional branching nodes to choose from, I think I *might* be okay here.

8) I need to determine if an attack hits its target in a series of follow up procedures. Critical rolls, normal rolls and flub rolls all need to roll against a series of separate rolls afforded to the target, each of which might allow for critical success or failure on the target's behalf.

9) Firstly, I'll need to check whether the target has a shield to decide whether they receive a block attempt, and match said attempt against the number generated by the attacker. Four branching options exist for this. A critical success stops the attack, mitigates force and lets them attempt a counter offensive using their shield. Simply rolling a higher number stops the attack, and the shield itself receives damage from the attack. Critical failure stops the attack, but can cause the target to stagger and allow for an attack of opportunity, assuming the attacker didn't generate a critical failure as well. Finally, A standard number generated lower than the attackers will count as a miss where the block attempt is concerned, and proceed into the next portion of the event.

10) A target's weapon must be checked to see whether they are afforded a 'Deflect' opportunity. This procedure is relatively the same as described above.

11) A 'Dodge' attempt is always allowed. Critical success is considered an Evasion, and costs no Initiative or Stamina. Critical failure may cause a stumble. Dodge attempts also need to consider the spatial area of an attack to see if it can be avoided by a Dodge, or if the target must 'Tumble' out of the way, and whether their Tumble Range will allow them to avoid an attack entirely or partially, if at all. Each step here--Block, Deflect and Dodge--also consumes a certain amount of consumable resources if successful, the amount of which will depend on certain factors that must be checked on the target. Missing may also cause the attacker to match their own 'Poise' stat against the force of their attack, or add to their initiative cost and leave them open to a counter.

13) Damage must be assigned only after the target's defense attempts have concluded. Damage Type will depend on a weapon being used, and the equipment slot used for the attack must be checked determine a potential range for damage. Certain Stats assigned to the target must also play a roll in determining what damage they receive. Failure on the part of a cutting or piercing weapon to bypass or penetrate armor changes its damage type to 'Impact' and uses a different formula than would be used otherwise. Resistance of a certain type may subtract 1 per point from every round of simulated dice rolls (-1 for 1d8 rolled using a 1d8 damage weapon, -2 for 2d8 using a 1d8 weapon, -2 for 4d8 with a 2d8 weapon, and so forth). And there are other factors as well, some of which I've created formulas for, and others I was expecting to sort out inside the events themselves. In any event (pun) I'm not really sure how to proceed at this point.

• Most of what you ask is already integrated in ork, for instance #2 and #3 is already taken care of by the turn based system, all you need to do is define your stuff in a formula. Blocking, hit miss and criticals are all covered too, unless you have a custom battle system that doesn't use status values. You should check the game tutorial that showcase all ork features, that would save you a lot of time so you don't have to code stuff that already exist.