• Some more new stuff (semi-status related):

Raycast Targeting

Raycast targeting is now an extensible system and comes with 3 different target selection types built-in.
    Position is the current mode where you raycast a position in the scene.
    Game Object is a new mode where you find game objects in the scene (e.g. by name or tag) and they're available as targets (example video).
    Grid mode projects square or hex grid positions around the user as available targets (example video).

Move AIs

Enemy detection can now also use conditions, e.g. based on level or status conditions, like a blind enemy not being able to see the player (example video).
    Also, move AI conditions are now an extensible system and have new condition types available - game state, variables, quest, quest tasks and quest types.
    E.g. you can now have some enemies only hunt the player during a certain quest or have different detection ranges based on game states (e.g. lower detection at night).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Looking forward to this update :)
  • It would be great if status effects could belong to multiple categories so that you could have things like "this effect prevents poison status unless that status is also 'unstoppable'" etc.
  • @Decayer
    Hm, that should already be possible.
    The status effect can use Auto Status Effects via status bonuses to automatically add or remove effects (i.e. grant immunity). But adding effects (e.g. via an ability) also has the option to force it, i.e. it can also add the effect if the combatant has an immunity to it.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Sounds like some cool possibilities for new effects!

Are there levels for status effects like abilities?

I guess it is redundant since you can use a condition like user knows ability level 2 to add another status change.
  • Sounds like a great update. I haven't made too many exotic statuses yet so I don't know what is and isn't possible. So I'll just post a few ideas and you can ignore them if they're already possible/implemented.

- A status that prevents the combatant from dying (ie fatal damage reduces their HP to 1 and then the status is removed)
    - Petrification status - instant death if struck with an attack or whatever
    - Half/Double MP/1 MP cost change status effects
    - Auto-Life, revive on death

It might also be nice to be able to give a status effect a sub-type such as Negative --> Degen, Negative --> Debuff, Negative --> Curse as an additional option for removal/application skills to add/remove things by sub type.
  • I have requested this before, but it would be useful to be able to separate StatusValue for each Combatant class.
    To use a tutorial project as an example, Trap's Combatant does not need the same StatusValue as Player's, such as Exp or MP.

However, Trap's Combatant may want to have its own StatusValue.
    They are not needed for PlayerCombatant's StatusValue, but with the current ORK, all Combatants have a common StatusValue, so if we integrate all CombatantType, the StatusValue will be huge.
  • I think this would fall under this since it's under the Status tab, but would it be possible (or is it already) to extend Formulas to allow for getting the current ability's Modifiers?

Pokemon for example has the normal elemental type chart which we can easily handle with Attack/Defense modifiers.

However, something else they do, is that if the type of the move is the same type (or one of the same if dual type) as the attacker, is that the move gets a small power boost, known as Same Type Attack Bonus.

So for example you could have these 3 moves that a Fire defense mod combatant is able to use

1. Fireball - 40 Power Fire Atk Mod
    2. Frostshard - 40 Power Frost Atk Mod
    3. Grassball - 40 Power Grass Atk Mod

#2 and #3 should do the same damage on a neutral opponent, but the fire one would get a small 25% boost.

Since the formula for these moves would otherwise be the exact same, it would be nice to be able to keep the single formula for them, but just have a node that can grab the modifier from the ability and then check it against the combatant without needing an otherwise duplicated formula but instead checking the combatant for every type.
  • @Acissathar
    That's more something that needs to be set up with different formulas.
    The main issue is: an ability or item doesn't have one attack modifier attribute, each target change can have none, one, multiple, etc. - the formula has no idea for what it's currently calculating, only knows the ability it's coming from.
  • @gamingislove Right, that's what I was thinking of as a possible feature with the new status system, providing the formula a way to know what it is calculating, or nodes to try and gather that information if available with a branch for failed/not found. In this scenario, rather than change up the formula (or make a new one) you'd be able to just add/remove the modifier tags that your super formula uses and it would already be accounted for and/or reduce possible error points.

Mainly just a quality of life thing change that could help to reduce the number of what would otherwise be largely duplicated formulas, but I can see it not being worth the time and effort given it can already be accomplished through what exists in the framework now. Just throwing some more ideas out there :)
  • New round of feature upgrades :)

Random Status Bonuses

Random status bonuses get a major rework - the currently separate status value, attack modifier and defence modifier random bonuses (modifiers only for equipment) are combined into a single, extensible setup.

Additionally, they now support the same features as regular status bonuses, i.e. they can give status value percent bonuses, status value change modifier bonuses, attack/defence modifier factor bonuses and even chance bonuses (e.g. hit chance, crit chance). You can even add a random bonus random bonus, i.e. have a random bonus give it's own sub random bonuses to create a complex bonus system (e.g. give one random bonus out of a set of 3, and each of the 3 has it's own multiple random bonuses set up).

As said above, previously all random bonuses where only available for equipment, while classes and combatants had only random status value bonuses. Now, the full random bonus feature is available in equipment, classes, combatants, status effects and passive abilities. The bonuses are created whenever an instance of them is created, e.g. when initializing a combatant, learning a passive ability or applying a status effect to a combatant.

Status Bonuses

Status bonuses have also been reworked to combine chance/factor bonuses, status value bonuses and attack/defence modifier bonuses into a single, extensible setup. Also, the bonus setup for status values and attack/defence modifiers has been split into individual, dedicated types, e.g. status value, status value percent, status value change modifiers, etc.
  • edited September 2023
    Since this update is connected to Status Effects a lot, this problem could be maybe connected to it (and fixable in release?) - I need to count combatants with selected Status Effect in Turned Based combat and then use the current sum in schematics. But for some reason, it seems it doesn't update properly.

Example - I have 4 combatants in player group and I use very simple system for their battle formation based on Status Effects - they can have Status Effect Front Row or Back Row (it's mutually exclusive). I use node Combatant Count in Formula to find out how many have each of the Status Effect and it seems to work properly at start of the battle. The characters have ability to move to Front Row or Back Row (which changes their status effect immediatelly). But when you use the ability and change the Status Effect, the formula seems to not update properly and somehow chaotically keeps older sum. Node Reset combatant stats or anything else I tried doesn't work (I also tried to create new hidden Status Value based on the formula and use this - it doesn't work either).

(Formula used to count player combatants with desired Status Effect)

(fork used in Ability schematic to determine if there aren't too many combatants with selected Status Effect)

It is bug in Status Effects / Combatant count node or something else? How can I make the formula to update each time I use it in schematic?

Another request - would it be possible to increase size of the dropdown boxes in editor (for longer names) or is hardcoded in Unity?
    Post edited by tlamiczka on
  • The formula as you've set it up just returns the number of combatants it counted. So if it counted that number, that's the number of combatants with the effect it found.

Are you changing the effects correctly? You can e.g. check the combatant's state via the inspector of it's game object and see if the status effects are applied correctly.
  • Here is example in video - there seems to be something weird going on with update of the Formulas using node Combatant count + Statuss Effect filter... I thought the Formulas update periodically (I use complex formulas for example for setting Status Values like max Health / Energy / Mana and it seem to be updating regularly with any game action) but it obviously behaves differently than I thought :-)

(sorry I placed this here and not to Bug reports discussion, I though this could have direct connection to this release focusing on Status Effects)
  • @tlamiczka
    Well, yeah ... formula used by the hidden status effect (I assume?) is only used by the combatant who's status changes, e.g. due to the changed status effect.
    You'll need to update all combatant's status e.g. via a Reset Combatant Status node that uses all player group members.

A different approach would be storing this into a global variable instead that you manually update whenever needed.