Hello, i would like to make a skill that deals 4 damages, each have its own animation and each deals different element (fire, water,wind, and earth).

the sequence i expected will be like this :
combatant cast animation,
animation A (spawn prefab), display 500% fire damage, move to
animation B (spawn prefab), display 500% water damage, move to
animation C (spawn prefab), display 500% wind damage, move to
animation D (spawn prefab), display 500% earth damage.

i tried to put 4 status changes in the ability, but it just deal all 4 damages on calculate node.
i also tried using use battle action and use ability calculation nodes but i cannot get it to work properly.
is there a way to achieve it?

thank you!
  • Damage calculation currently uses all status changes at once.

A solution would be to set up each invididual damage in individual abilities and use the Use Ability Calculation node to calculate the outcome for it one at a time. The combatant doesn't need to know these other abilities, they're just used to separate the calculations.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited September 2023
    ah okay, it is now working !

skill A deals 500% fire damage
    skill B deals 500% ice damage, etc now.

erm.. then, how can i make the use ability calculation node automatically follow the level of the ability learned without making a new schematic for each level?
    on level 3 they should deal 1,000% damage each, but right now i need to make 3 schematics for each level, setting the use ability calc node ability level manually.

also..
    1. if i want to make a cutscene, is it better done using schematic / unity timeline? how do i trigger the unity timeline ?
    2. if i have a skill that has 5 levels of status effect, for example status effect A increase certain skill damage by (200/250/300/450/400)% of ATK, how can i set it up using only 1 status effect? right now i could get it work by making 5 status effect with same name with different effect for each level. is it the right way / is there a better way to do it?
    3. i'm trying to make a narrative which fade the screen in to black, show narrative, fade screen out on start game (new game).
    the show narrative and fade screen out worked, but the fade in screen doesnt work.
    i tried this same schematic on another scene that is not after new game, just start scene with ork game starter and the fade in worked, is there anyway how to work around it?
    image1
    image2

4. is there a way to display show dialogue line by line (like image2 above) with interval instead of using typewriter?

thank you !
    Post edited by rmagn on
  • rmagn said: erm.. then, how can i make the use ability calculation node automatically follow the level of the ability learned without making a new schematic for each level?
    Yeah, that's currently not possible, so it'd need separate schematics for that.
    I'll look into a different solution, though - e.g. the Calculate Action node having options to only calculate the outcome of the 1st, 2nd, etc. target changes. That way the separate abilities are no longer needed.

1) Well, that's up to your taste - schematics can do stuff as well, or if you're familiar with timeline and want to use it, use that :)
    You can handle timeline via the Animation > Playable nodes in schematics, e.g. Change Director State to play or stop it.

2) Just ... use one status effect?
    The setup is totally up to you, so if only 1 status effect should impact that, just use that one effect.

3) Do you have any timescale changes here? That could stop the screen fade from progressing.

4) There are text codes for waiting a defined time (e.g. < wait=1> to wait for 1 second, without the space after '<'), but I think they only work when using typewriter.
    You could have the UI box for that text use it's own typewriter setup with a very high index increase, so the entire line plops in immediately :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited September 2023
    Hello ! umm i didn't see any option to only calculate the outcome of partial status change in the schematic, where can i access it? Is it by adding 4x target changes in the ability target setting Then do 4x calculate action nodes in the schematic?

1.) ah i see, i'll look into it ! thank you for letting me know!

2.) erm i tried using 1 status effect, but i couldnt find a way to increase the damage of certain ability in the Change Settings. :(
    can we put level into status effect?
    my use case is this
    there is skill A that has 5 levels, giving status effect called Overdrive to combatant. from there, combatant basic attack will have its damage increased by the % described in skill A.
    since i couldnt find the ability increase damage, i did it by making 5 status effect with same name, each status effect symbolizing the level of the skill and add it into status change of basic attack.

conditions that i put into basic attack :
    status change 0 : no overdrive, formula 1
    status change 1 : overdrive 1, formula 3
    status change 2 : overdrive 2, formula 3.5
    status change 3 : overdrive 3, formula 4
    etc.

is there better way to do this? XD

3.) erm no i havent touched any timescale, so far i only add fade in, show dialogue, and fade out from 3D playground tutorial's StartGame schematic.. but the fade out worked, only the fade in didnt work. @_@

4.) oh i forgot about that text options, it's working now :D is there a way to add animation to each line (e.g fade in and fade out) using typewriter or the schematic?

5.) can i call other schematic from a schematic? e.g i would like to have a schematic that calls BattleStart schematic, then show dialogues between combatant, do a cutscene, and BattleEndVictory
    Post edited by rmagn on
  • edited September 2023
    On 2
    I'm not sure that this is better but what I did was use formulas. I feel like once I had a formula set up to copy, it was slightly less clicks overall to make the next one. Also it allows for all the status effect "levels" to be in 1 spot to edit.

Also I ended up with a bunch of status effect copies anyways because anything that Can't use a formula, I had to do it the other way. Like Attack Modifier bonus.

It's important that the highest level is first on the fork because it will use the ability level that it finds first.

So basically in your case it would combine all of the Formula 1, 3, 3.5, 4 in to 1 formula using a status fork to choose which one.

https://imgur.com/a/AExueOF

Post edited by GeneralK on
  • rmagn said: Hello ! umm i didn't see any option to only calculate the outcome of partial status change in the schematic, where can i access it? Is it by adding 4x target changes in the ability target setting Then do 4x calculate action nodes in the schematic?
    Ah, no - I meant that I'll look into adding that in the next update :)
    So, no, it's currently not possible.

2) If it's a passive ability, you could directly check for the ability.
    With status effects, if you want to use one effect, you could use stacking, i.e. each level would add more of the effect that can be checked in conditions. The only other way is to have multiple effects.

Formulas are usually the way to go when something should affect the calculation of the damage/heal/etc., but you can also set up different status changes in your ability and use conditions.

3) Might be that some other schematic or scene change is fading the screen - try adding a Wait node before the screen fade to check if something else is doing it.

4) Not sure if TextMesh Pro has options for that, from ORK/Makinom there are none.

5) Yes, e.g. using Start Machine nodes - you can also start tagged machines, put multiple machines on a stack and execute the stack in that order, etc.
  • edited September 2023
    hello @GeneralK ,
    it's working ! i didn't think of changing the formula used for the attack T_T it's harder than putting more status effects but certainly makes the status effect cleaner. thank you for explanation !!

@gamingislove oh okayy i'll be waiting for next update :3
    2.) i did it with @GeneralK way, thank you for the advice about the formula too !
    3.) erm..how can i check if there is another schematic going on? adding unity consoles? i dont know how to check what is going on in the framework tbh.. XD also how to check list of variables available in the game and the values?

4.) ah isee, i think i need to make objects with animation to achieve that T_T how can i activate game objects, enable / disable components from schematic? i found activate object but idk how to link that to a game object..

5.) oh nice thank you! i couldnt find that node in the schematic nodes features tutorial T_T for the start machine stack node, is there example use case on how and when to use it?

6.) i would like to make a credit page on start menu, consist of just scrolling texts and an ok button. i achieve it using start menu - information, but i want to get more understanding with the menu screens function.
    i tried using schematic option on start menu , with call menu screen node, and in menu screen credits i put information menu part, but i didnt understand how to put the scrolling text into the UI box.
    i tried adding information and description but it didnt show up when i clicked the credits button.
    can you give me a clue on how to do it? should i make a new HUD for it too?

7.) When i use item on combatant e.g potion, the target selection screen gets closed after use it one time. I need to reselect the potion and select target again. How can i set it so i can use potion multiple times on a target and close the screen on clicking outside the UI / by pressing cancel?

Thank you!

Post edited by rmagn on
  • 3) The _Makinom game object (in the DontDestroyOnLoad part of the scene) has informations on all running machines - e.g. pause the play mode and check what else is running.
    If it's coming from a scene change you'd probably notice that the scene changed before :D

4) Usually via adding actors to your schematic (in the Settings node).
    There are different types available, e.g. you can search for objects in the scene (by name, tag, etc.), have a machine component select one in the scene setup, etc.

The Game Object > Component nodes in schematics have a lot of component-related stuff, e.g. the Enable Component node to enable/disable components.

5) Use is pretty simple, you add machines (i.e. schematics with machine/starting object) to a stack using the Add Machine To Stack node. Afterwards, you can execute them in the order they're added via the Start Machine Stack node. The machines will perform one by one until the stack is done.

You can e.g. use this to have an NPC during a cutscene do a series of things while the cutscene schematic continues with other stuff.

6) Start menu and menu screens are separate things.
    Start menu is just for the game start, i.e. new game, load, etc..
    Menu screens are the in-game menus to handle inventory, equipment, group, etc.
    They're not used together, i.e. menu screens only work in a running game, while the start menu is usually only used before starting the game.

There's not really a built-in feature for such a scrolling text credits display, but I'm sure there are a bunch of 3rd party assets out there to set up something like that. Or just set up a canvas in your scene with such a scrolling text that you can turn on/off e.g. via schematics.

7) This can be set up per item type and individual items can also override this.
    The Keep Open setting in the item's/item type's Inventory Settings handle this. If enabled, combatant selections in menu screens will keep open to allow using them again and again.
    Abilities also have that setting (per-ability setup, i.e. no type-related setup).
  • edited September 2023
    Hello!

5.) Oh noted i think i can use it for sequencing schematic for cutscenes by breaking down the huge achematic into part into the stacks? :D

6.) Erm i'll look into the menu screen again, can i use information menu part to diaplay the credit page?

i managed to make credits page on the start menu using information, but couldnt using menu screen yet.

7.) Oh i found it, it works perfectly now, thank you!

8.) Im looking at documentation for battle system. If i want to make a battle system like grandia ii (active time) , is it achievable using ork? Does dynamic combat can cover this feature (make the character can be moved by ai after attacking or make an action to move into certain spot) or it is outside ork scope right now?
    Post edited by rmagn on
  • 5) Yes, that's also one way to use it.

6) The Information menu part can display whatever you set it up to display, e.g. some text, HUD content, etc.

8) Can be done, e.g. by allowing player controls during a combatant's turn (Allow In Turn setting in the active time battle system's control block settings) you are able to move around during the player combatant turns.
    For AI controlled combatants you can allow the move AI during their turns by enabling Allow Move AI, Block In Battle and Allow In Turn settings in the active time battle system's move AI settings.
    You can also use the action time feature of the battle systems to only allow selecting actions for a defined time :)
  • edited September 2023
    8.) Umm i mean the player only selects the action with battle menu, then when executing actions, combatants (including player characters) movement will be controlled by AI for a monent, for example like moving toward target, and move away from target and look for position after executing action, is it possible?

9.) Im using Battle camera with look at menu user enabled, but when the combatant use attack, it still look at the user, how to change the battle camera to look back at battle arena after player has selected action? Ive been looking everywhere but didnt find a way to fix that. xD
    update : i managed to get what i wanted by enabling look at selecting user with target battle arena enabled, is it recommended way to do it? or is there more flexible way to do it?

10.) i followed this mecanim animation ork2 tutorial, but im kinda confused how to implement default mecanim into the ones already made on tutorial , (movement, battle movement, etc.)
    is there more in depth tutorial for it?
    can i just add mecanim animation into existing animations (movement, simple movement, battle movement)? or is it better if i make a new one (mecanim movement, mecanim simple movement, etc.)?

11.) i tried doing the animations using mecanim, the cast and use animation work fine, but the attack animation didnt get played, character only move forward and backward and deal damage. here is my setting
    img1
    img2
    img3
    is my setting right? i wonder why only the attack doesnt work.. battleidle, run, etc works.
    update : i manage to get it working by renaming all the animation clips matching with the state name, is it how i suppose to do it?

12.) right now the self target abilities actions do not select target (self) and added automatically when i click on the skill, how can i make it select target (self) like the other target setting? i found auto 1 single target and auto 1 group target but i didnt find for self.

Thank you!
    Post edited by rmagn on
  • 8) That's something you'd set up in the schematic animating the action.

9) The battle camera does what you enable for it to do. E.g. if you use Look At Latest User with Target Battle Arena enabled, actions will have the camera target the battle arena.
    You can also use camera changes in your action's schematics if you use Allow Schematics as battle camera type.

10) Some of the ORK 3 tutorials use Mecanim setups, e.g. 2D quickstart or the 3D action RPG.
    For Mecanim, it's best to use a setup that forwards the movement speed to the animator controller and have it handle idle/movement animations based on that (via a blend tree), but you can also use other setups. I.e. not using the auto movement animtions for combatants.
    Other than that, it's pretty easy from ORK's point of view - either play animations directly or play them via setting parameters. Correctly setting up the animator controller is a more complex thing, though.

11) Best use a setup like e.g. the one in the 3D action RPG tutorial.
    Directly playing animations works best, as that doesn't need to rely on any parameters and transitions set up in the animator controller.

12) Self targeting actions will be used immediately, since there's no target to select.
    One way around that would be to use a single ally targeting setup with a very, very small use range to only have the user itself available.
  • edited September 2023
    8-9) okay i'll try it thank you for the advice ! :3

10-11) i tried following the 3d action rpg tutorial for the mecanim, and use direct playing animations for attack and use (using play or cross fade).
    in field, it works fine (movement, pickup works).
    in battle
    the escape, use animations works fine, but attack animation just revert to idle after playing like 0.1s of animation duration. it looked like its skipping the wait duration of the attack schematic (im using the 3d playground tutorial schematic for attack animation, (move forward, attack, move backward), even though i set up the same name for state and animation clip .
    combatant can also revert to field idle animation instead of battle idle animation (happens when im clicking on animator or when game tab lose focus).

img is my setting.

did i set something wrong?

update : i added transition back for the attack animation, since i couldnt get the direct play animation to work.

12) thank you it is working now !

13) how to fit all battle gains in one ui?
    i tried use the battle end - 3 loot dialogues type but it doesnt provide what im looking for.
    for example i would like to display total exp and currency gained on ui box 1 on the left, items and equipment loots on ui box 2 on the right, then when player select accept, it shows each combatant with exp bar and exp gained and level up.
    Post edited by rmagn on
  • 10-11) Check the tutorial's animator controller setup, e.g. transition from any state to movement. You'll need to make sure the transition uses an exit time or the movement animations are able to play again immediately. The exit time makes sure the currently playing animation can only be exited when it played until the exit time.

13) I don't think exactly that is currently available. Best match would be the Layout Screen loot dialogue type.
  • edited September 2023
    10-11) ah yes i did check it, for now i just add transition back to idle after the action. it works at least for now. :3

13) oh i see, is there any way to make custom battle end dialogue, maybe using schematic?
    14) also right now the level up dialogue displayed the multi level up. for example if my character multi level up, it displays it like this image only up to 3 level increase, while my character increased its level by 6 levels (from level 5 to level 11).
    how to just display the highest level reached?

1) i would like to change the moveforward schematic from the tutorial to character move to front of enemy Front.
    i added Front game object to the combatant.
    then i change the schematic like the image and tried Object Actor 0 : Starting Object as well, but it didnt work, it played the run animation for about 0.05s and then moves on to attack schematic.
    how to fix this? XD
    also how to set the character to face to the opposite direction when move back to original position? also how can i store and call the original position (battle spot)?
    img1
    img2
    Post edited by rmagn on