I have been working with Ork for a while now and I can generally figure out most things but I have gathered a few problems that I can't seem to figure out and I would greatly appreciate any help.

1. The first problem is that I am attempting to make a grid move loop that allows movement like Stoneshard, where the player can click to move however many tiles they want and the loop will make the enemies take a turn for each tile the player has moved.

The problem is that no matter what setup I use I can't seem to get it working, even if I reset the enemies move range and actions they sometimes will only move one tile with my current setup.image

2. I have a research tree setup that utilizes two ui boxes next to eachother, one ui box handles the research tree types and the other handles the tree of abilities that will be shown, if I setup the menu part to be multi it works just fine, however, I would like for both ui boxes to stay on screen so I decided to use sequence but no matter what settings I mess with the ui box that displays abilities will flicker on and off very fast and then it never opens again unless I open and close the ui completely.

I have already tried to get help in the unofficial discord but the common issues for this did not solve the problem like the focus over ui or fade schematics.

3. The last problem I am having is that I have 3 enemies with their own grid sizes, the battle ai for all 3 works great and they go to the player as planned, however, they seem to only detect the origin cell of eachother and this causes them to occasionally move onto eachother but never on top of eachothers origin cell.

I do not allow moving over in the settings and this seems to only happen when they try to move to the same place at the same time, I checked what happens in the grid cells and it says that one of them was able to occupy the cell but the other becomes a guest of the cell.

I have tried delaying decisions in multiple ways to allow the ai to have time to register that an ally has occupied the cell but even that doesn't do anything, it just seems like the only cell that matters is the origin cell and the others are disregarded

Thanks to anyone who wishes to help :)
  • I think we already talked via email about this - sorry for the delay on my part, I've been mostly out of office between October 20 till beginning of November.

1) Can you see some kind of specific condition or order when it's working and when not?
    Try changing grid move range and action bar before using the battle AI (or both before and after) to make sure they can act.

2) Sounds a bit like you have Focus Cursor Over enabled in your UI > UI Boxes > General Settings. I.e. the UI box the cursor is over will automatically receive focus.
    In case of a Sequence menu setup, that will lead to the click on the type opening the next UI box, but immediately receiving focus back, closing the next UI box again.

Either disable the setting or have those UI boxes in the menu enable Block Cursor Focus Over.

3) There's the Mark Target Cell setting in Battles > Battle Grid Settings > Move Command. This'll have a combatant mark the cell as it's movement target and should prevent others from moving there.
    The battle AI's Grid Move node also has this setting to mark a cell it can't reach with the current move range, so it's 'reserved' for the next time.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited November 2023
    1) I will try this!

2) I have block cursor over schematic enabled on both ui boxes and focus cursor over isnt enabled in the ui boxes general settings, it was one of the things I have tried but unfortunately no success

3) I have mark target cell enabled in the grid move ai and the move command settings

I honestly have no clue what im doing wrong, I have spent 10+ hours trying to fix these issues but nothing seems to work

No worries on the delay been hard at work on other features just please save me :)
    Post edited by SagiSaks on
  • Move command settings

Battle Ai settings

Focus Over

Both Ui boxes have this selected

• edited November 2023
    I tried what you said for #1 but it didn't work, player still moves then the enemy finally moves

Just to make this known in case it could be a cause of the problem, I use phase battle because it makes the gameplay feel more appropriate to what I am going for where the enemies all go at the same time after my turn ends.

EDIT:
    So I am at the closest I have gotten where the enemies will attack me each tile that I move but they will rarely move and if they do it is only 1 cell (their grid move battle ai works when I use wasd though) but as long as I am in their attack range they use their other turns, also similar to my other problem if i choose a cell and the enemy also chooses that cell during my movement then they can clip into me.

Also if I choose a path, even if the enemy moves and blocks the path it doesn't stop my move so I will always get to my destination no matter what.
  • Hm, might be best if you could send me a Unity test project to check this out in action :)

Regarding player moving over the enemies - well, the player is still on it's ongoing original path. You have to check this in the movement loop in the schematic, checking if the next cell is empty (Is Grid Cell Empty node) or not and e.g. end movement in that case (also clearing rest of the path via Clear Grid Path node).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited November 2023
    Sent the test project to your email! :)

I'll add here as well that you can just use the forest battle scene to see everything, L will bring of the ability tree, you can use wasd movement to test out the overlapping enemies, and click to move is setup where the enemies will all attack the amount of times you move just not move.

I also am not sure if I have a separate grid move schematic setup for the enemies battle action so keep that in mind if it is a problem.
  • For others running into a similar problem when trying a roguelike setup: The Move Command settings in Battles > Battle Grid Settings have options to manage if a combatant can move multiple times per turn. If you 'fake' new turns for combatants during the player's movement, disable this for the enemies to allow them movement multiple times :)
  • edited November 2023
    I updated Ork to try and fix my sequence issue and I did these steps but I can't tell what I am doing wrong because it has the same behavior as before.

1. I switched to the single research tree as suggested

2. I swapped out the prefab in the general combatant settings

3. I swapped out the prefab in the research tree settings

Unless I am misunderstanding my options, I am setting up the menu part to work like this image where the left side has your research tree options, when you click on them it opens up the second ui box to display the abilitiesimage

It also seems that multi and single prefab work with the multi option just not sequence, just a flicker, shows the ability tree, flickers off.

• edited November 2023
    Update on the clipping issue @gamingislove

It seems that turn based handles this issue much better than phase battles for obvious reasons, I still ran into some issues but with alot of trial and error and a very specific setup, seems I am able to have 99% of the clipping gone and they never clip into me now so no worries on looking into it but if it is intended to work in phase battles then maybe look into that still :) thanks so much for the help.
  • So for anyone who is making a stoneshard/traditional roguelike game, I managed to get wasd and click movement fully functional with multiple enemy sizes and no game breaking AI problems anymore.

It took quite a bit of trial and error and was far more complex than I thought it would be so if anyone ever needs help setting things up feel free to add me on discord and I can show you whatever you need Buddy#3026

Thanks to gamingislove for walking me through some ideas to set me in the right direction :)
  • So, all good now?
    Let me know if any issue comes up :)
  • Thank you! :) All is good except for some reason I can't figure out the sequence flickering issue still after the update :/
  • Hm, that should be fixed (if the setup is correct now).
  • edited November 2023
    Ahh so I updated ork when I first tried, but I guess I had to reimport and now it works :D so glad to have it working! Thanks for fixing it!