edited November 2014 in General Discussion
Unity 3D and Unreal 4.5
Having to kill a project I’ve been working on (long story short the guy who help come up with the story had a falling out and the safest route was to kill the project.) put me in a weird place, that lead me to trying Unreal Engine 4.5. I know a few of you guys have been thinking of trying it out so I’ll post my experience. First my Unity 3D experience: I’ve been using Unity 3D for about 3 years and ORK was the first asset I bought.

Unreal 4 is $19, you can do $19 a month and that will get you all the fun updates or you could just pay $19 and it’s yours without the updates. They also charge 5% of your total gross for anything over 30k, that’s a lot more expensive that unity 3D.

Programing:
This being the ORK forums I’m assuming you guys are using ORK Framework. Unreal 4 uses C++ and a system called Blueprint. I don’t know C++….. but Blueprint is awesome, it would be easy for anyone who uses ORK’s event system to get a hang of Blueprint. ORK Framework overall is like Blueprint of steroids, especially if you’re thinking of doing a RPG.

Editor:
Going between Unity 3D and Unreal, it’s a bit of a learning curve. Unity feels more user friendly (not sure if that because I started in Unity or the interface is just easier), but Unreal offers a lot of nice tools not offered in Unity (without buying assets), geometry editing, texture alignments, and a lot of different lightmapping tools.

Lighting and Shaders:
This is where Unreal shines (at least when it comes unity 3d 4.6), the stock lighting is amazing, the reflection sphere/box use less GPU than Unity. Particle emitters do amazing work, Shadows are mind-blowing, Reflection are crazy good.

Overall:
I don’t think I can pick a side…. Unless ORK comes to Unreal…..I have a small project about 50% done in unreal and something in the works back in Unity once this is finished. If anyone is interested I can give them beta access to my Unreal project so they can get a feel for the Lighting and Effects compared to unity.

• edited November 2014
    I just started reading about Unreal and using it a little but for me the lack right now of assets like ORK make it impractical for me to use. And I've read it can be slow on mobile. Not sure if this is true or not because I haven't tried it yet. But by the time I got a save system, quest system, combat system, inventory system etc. up and running with Unreal, I could make four mobile games with Unity. : ) I know you can use fix files in Unreal so--

I'll continue learning Unreal slowly but probably won't really switch until ORK comes to Unreal, if that may ever be. :)

Certainly Unreal has a great need for ORK. : ) Someone should get up a petition. : )

It wouldn't even require a big full-fledged ORK to add a lot to Unreal -- even an ORKlet would be a big improvement.
    (|) ^^
    .|
    Post edited by Catacomber on
  • haven’t tried anything on mobile yet, but they do have a neat mobile preview and from what I could see a lot of the shaders and shadows don’t work too well on iPhone and Android. Unreal, for me at least is mainly going to be used for FPS, or some third person action games….. It would way to hard to do any RPG style game without a huge team or something like ORK. I did want to mention that I got the animations working much faster than I ever could in Machanim.

• ive been building rpg style systems in unreal the past 2 weeks and its not as hard as you think only big thing is the inventory which from what ic an see they changed how information is stored so i have to learn how to build structures since atm my inventory will only hold items for 60 seconds before disappearing. but as of right now i got a experience system stats system hp mana and stam system over 4k animations now thanks to the new re targeting system that unreal has. all animation packs i have from unity work there so no need to buy more. all models from unity work there textures ect. so those assets are no biggie. to implement something like ork would be more along the lines of a blueprint kit has all the systems built for you you just have to set them up. so basically a kit with a tutorial on how to set up and use. hell i even got dynamic avatars and min maps going atm . but if your coming from unity with no knowledge on how things work or your just doing things as a hobby then dont use unreal stay with unity till its been around another year or so. ork frame work is what you will need inorder to build rpg games if you dont understand scripting terminology. Unreal does top unity all the way im loving it since i started playing around with it but for those of you who first step into gaming use unity its a good place to start to learn before you jump into a engine that is used to power todays top games. for mobile its a mater of making sure you use lowpoly models. and shading and lighting check out there mobile demos they will show you how to do it right so u can produce good looking games for mobile. all in all though ork is a gem you wont find any were else. GIl has alot of pride in his work and the product shows it.
    new website can be found here http://www.fore-loregames.com

Follow the game Development on Twitter https://twitter.com/Fore_Lore_Games

or check out the face book page here https://www.facebook.com/ForeLoreGames
  • edited November 2014
    Blueprint is pretty cool (certainly better than kismet which was atrocious), but Unreal in all of its iterations has been a bit of a convoluted mess. The trade off, of course, are more robust shader options and all the raw power under the hood, but Unity5 is getting a pretty huge boost in that regard, as well as the 64-bit editor and better multi-threading. Still not comparable, but the gap is lessening.

I've designed for both professionally and unless I have a 80+ team for AAA production, or the specs require some serious multiplayer aspects, (or if you're super comfortable coding in C++) I usually feel most comfortable in Unity; and that goes especially for primarily 2D games.

It would be silly to expect GiL ever porting anything to Unreal, though. There's no established framework for selling it, it would be impossible to maintain for both engines; and I get the feeling that GiL probably prefers Unity to Unreal as well.
    Post edited by Kirb on
    Tactics RPG Grid Battle System for ORK
    ---------------------------------------
    Personal Twitter: https://twitter.com/AMO_Crate
    I make RFI! https://twitter.com/NootboxGames
  • edited November 2014
    You're right, it would be silly for Gil to do anything with Unreal right now especially when he's developing something new which doesn't even have a name yet and I'm sure, along with having to polish Unity 4.6 gui stuff and Unity 5.0 stuff, he's really busy. : )

But the Unreal engine does have a viable Marketplace where a developer or graphic artist can sell their work. Manufactura4K, one of my big favorites for Unity game graphics and one of the biggest successful graphic artists in the Unity Asset Store imho---a big favorite for a lot of Unity users--has many graphics there now. That makes me want to keep my hand in with Unreal. : ) While I finish my Unity games, I will continue to dabble. : ) And see what happens down the road. Just seeing that he and Bitgem are selling there means they must have a reason as neither of them probably needs more income than what they get from the Unity asset store and their own websites.

It means they have an interest in Unreal and if they have an interest, I have an interest. : )

It's like playing the stock market. Curious to see what happens. : )

I still love Unity and will probably make my next five games with Unity and ORK in Unity but as with all cats, I have a great curiosity to see how things develop. I can't keep my paws off the Unreal button on my desktop when I get a break from developing my Unity games. : )

Maybe it's Kismet. : )

• I agree with you cat, I love unity and cant wait to wrap this project up so I can go back, then again when I wrap up my next project in Unity I'll probably say I can't wait to jump back into Unreal. I remember when I fist started getting into game developing not knowing C++ (don't know Java.... but I do use a lot of C#) and seeing the horrors of kismet, I found Unity to be amazing then I stumbled across ORK and I fell in love.
  • edited December 2014
    I don't think it's good if you're making games to be split between two worlds. I think you have to make a choice because otherwise you undermine your own ability to evolve and enhance one system and be creative with it, which takes concentration and learning how to build on what you know and not scattering over two experiences. Sometimes you can create something really unique and wonderful if you really have an in depth knowledge of what you're working with.

I absolutely am very happy with ORK as it works so well for the things I need to do. With the node system it takes me minutes to clone and adjust things like quests so am more productive.

I can knock five quests out in about ten minutes-- once the dialogues are written out and I've created the quest items and rewards.

So I'd say I too am in love with the ORK Framework and Unity and am investing my time and imagination and long hours of work firmly in there.

Besides I have a game almost done that am having a lot of fun with made with Unity and ORK. : )
  • I agree cat, I have to make a choice and it wont be an easy one.... ORK is amazing and that alone is giving unity a slight edge for me
  • Cryengine. Boom.
  • What does that mean? Am not going to go there because I've found Unity and ORK so far to be very good for making mobile games. : )

I know Cryengine is a possibility but I like what Unity and ORK do on mobile. : )

• Just a joke, but that thing is a beast on PC games. Never used it, but the graphical fidelity is amazing.
  • edited December 2014
    Graphic fidelity is what you make of it. : ) Watched Peter Pan live last night and it gave me some wonderful ideas for terrains. : )

You can do a lot with Unity terrains and they work on mobile. I think Cryengine does look like a beast on PC but then you have to do all the 90 percent that is not graphics and get all that working and get a marketable game out of it. : ) Imho the best market right now is on mobile.

Sitting on the NYC subway tonight everybody around me was playing some mobile game. : )

Probably none of them had ever played a PC game in their life. I've only played one or two--Pahelika and some other one from Big Fish Games-other than Runescape which is my favorite PC game but haven't had a chance to go there for a long time.

Mobile games give you something personal and for that I like Unity and ORK for creating them because I can actually get the thing done.

That's the real beast--to get the thing done and out there in the market. : )

• Sitting on the NYC subway tonight everybody around me was playing some mobile game.
    Yes, but 99% of those may have been free-to-play games or very established AA games like Angry Birds.
    Everywhere I turn, I hear that the mobile game market is saturated. I looked at your iOS game and it looks cool; is it profitable though?
  • edited December 2014
    Thanks! Yes, it's profitable enough and we haven't done any advertising really yet except at my website. But I have an established set of players from over seven years of game-making. To keep the sales steady for iOS you have to at least know how to get some attention at TouchArcade. And you have to keep it up. Luckily I'm a chatty catty so like to talk about our games and try to keep things going. And I had 13 old threads already up at Touch Arcadet to advertise the release of our new iOS game made with ORK1.
    The Quest-Hero of Lukomorye I
    The Quest-Hero of Lukomorye II
    The Quest-Hero of Lukomorye III
    The Quest- Hero of Lukomorye IV
    The Quest-Hero of Lukomorye V
    The Quest-Mithril Horde
    The Quest- Mithril Horde II
    The Quest-Cursed Chess Set
    The Quest-Escape from Asteroids
    The Quest-Attack from Asteroids
    The Quest-Celtic Rift
    The Quest- Celtic Queen
    The Quest- Celtic Doom

But you can always use your wits alone to get interest in your game at Touch Arcade.

Keep in mind a lot of those free to play games that people play have in app purchases and make a small bundle! Apple loves those apps. Eventually will get to including in app purchases but not yet because our players don't like them.

We'll do more advertising for our new iOS game Omber. The more games you have out there the better known you become. And that helps you.

The mobile game market is full of games but also there are millions of users and always new users out there. And a well thought out game with interesting gameplay can attract its share of players so the saturation is not so important a factor. There are ways to stimulate sales of an iOS game at TouchArcade as I touched on.
    : )

We just want to make beautiful fun games that give our players pleasure and so we try not to think of the business side until we have to. You do have to promote your game somehow though. And yes the market is saturated but there are always eager new players all over the world. Like everything else you have to work hard to get your game out there. :) And then try to get it as much attention as you can.

• edited December 2014
    Thanks for the rundown, I confess I'm not yet familiar with Touch Arcade at all.

Win/Mac are the platforms of choice for me now, in fact I plan to work throughout the new year on a relatively hardcore, text-heavy RPG title. Then I plan to take the tried-and-true PR route of Twitter, Facebook, Reddit and Tumblr to stir things up a bit.
    An Android port is on the radar, but the iPhone/iPad feels alien to me at this point. :)
    Post edited by Gregorik on