edited February 2014 in ORK Support
I'm looking at getting a license to ORK 2 as I've been playing around with the free version and it looks awesome. I was wondering if ORK 2 lends itself to multiplayer well? Obviously it doesn't provide multiplayer support by default but would it be possible to integrate it with something like Photon? Or is multiplayer something that is planned at some point down the line?
Any advice on this would be great.
Post edited by gamingislove on
  • edited February 2014
    It should be possible - with the full version's code access you should be able to implement it on your own.

Multiplayer support out of the box isn't planned.

Edit: moved to support :)
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • That's cool.
    I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything in the closed source that would make multiplayer impossible (or at least super difficult).
  • Im also considering starting my project on ORK2, the only issue I have at this point is the lack of multiplayer.

When you say 'you should be able to implement it on your own.' do you mean that ORK2.0 will let us add in support for multiplayer via custom code? Could this also be done with some kind of multiplayer framework?

ORK2 looks very solid, but my current game project is a multiplayer turn based game (words with friends style turn trading) and Id love any tips on how I could get ORK2.0 integrated in my 4 player asynchronous world.
  • Yes, ORK Framework allows that - the closed source is mainly the editor, the automatic data handling stuff and some base classes. The actual gameplay relevant code that you'd need to change for multiplayer support is available in the Full licence version.

I haven't yet looked into any of the available multiplayer packages for Unity, so I can't really tell you how to do it or where to start, but ORK itself wont hinder you on trying :D
    That being said, I'd recommend thinking on what you really need in your game, because ORK Framework is a massive and complex piece of code, and maybe it would be easier implementing your own system into a multiplayer framework than implementing a multiplayer framework into ORK ...
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • thanks! yeah I've been researching frameworks for RPGs in Unity, and ORK has come highly recommended. The game we're making is a 3D turn based multiplayer RPG. Think Disgaea/FFTactics/tactics orgre, but played dungeons and dragons style with 4 people (up to 6 later)

The key components for us are, multiplayer turn based game play that lets you execute a turn in the game, then close the app and forget about it until you're notified its your turn again. The second most important part of the game is having a deep RPG structure that gives the sense of deep gameplay that hardcore gamers love.

• I know this is an older post but I think it's the best place.

I searched the forums for any updates with multiplayer. All the posts I found was at least a year old. So is there still no plans to add any type of multiplayer support?

I know ORK is primarily designed for singleplayer.