edited February 2014 in ORK Support
I'm wanting to start work on a 2D, top down perspective game. I've made my way through a good number of the ORK game tutorials, and so far I really like the workflow. Of course, it's primarily for 3D projects. I have Unity 4.3, which allows me access to built in sprite tools and a 2D workflow. Has anyone here had any experience trying to combine the two? I assume some amount of custom coding for player and camera controls is required, but just how viable it?

I've starting playing around with merging the two with some minor success in locking the camera into a 2D perspective without gravity and using a partially-functioning 2D prefab as a player combatant, but that's as far as I've gotten.

Will ORK work well with 4.3's 2D animations and 2D physics settings? (each map will be hand-painted images with colliders, not tiles)

Will replacing character and camera controller scripts work to create a 2D game, or is more intensive labor required to get it to work right?

I'll continue playing around with it on my own to see what I can do, but I was just curious if anyone here had attempted something similar and was willing to share their findings. Thanks!
  • edited February 2014
    ORK supports 2D colliders and triggers from 4.3, so you'll be able to work with them in your scene setup (e.g. interactions, scene changers).

If you need your own player/camera control, you can do that quite easily by setting up custom controls, you can find more info on that in this how-to.

I haven't yet tried the new 2D stuff myself, so you may need some additional things like custom animation and movement scripts - but ORK also supports them out of the box. You'll just have to define the name of the component and the method that should be called to trigger an animation or set a movement target (move AI).

So, basically there shouldn't be anything standing in your way to create a 2D project - ORK doesn't really care if it's 3D or 2D :D

There are already some 2D projects on the way, one example is Dead Gear, but I think it's using 2D Toolkit :)
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks for the quick response! As long as it SHOULD work I'm more than willing to work up some custom scripts and play around with it. I'm still a beginner when it comes to scripting but as long as ORK is still handling all the data structures and doing the hard parts for me, I'll learn what I need to learn to make it work.
  • edited February 2014
    Yeah, there are a few extra and unique challenges for using 2D and 2DTK with ORK2, but it's more than prepared for the job. (Even more so if you're doing side perspective like I am.)
    Post edited by Kirb on
    Tactics RPG Grid Battle System for ORK
    ---------------------------------------
    Personal Twitter: https://twitter.com/AMO_Crate
    I make RFI! https://twitter.com/NootboxGames
  • I was using 2DTK but I switched everything over to Unity's 2D system and it works fine if not better. I do have a custom character controller that moves the character and handles basic movement animations, nothing crazy.