Hey Gil,

Just a quick question hopefully, if it is doable, just point me in the right direction please as I have been having an issue getting this to work.

My Player Model is in a Legacy Rigging, using Animation and then ORK handles what is done.
I was wanting to make it so S key walks backwards during Camera Follow. Currently it is using the Vertical Axis to move forward and back, which is tying only MeleeRun to it, and not a WalkBackwardsMelee animation for S also. Is there a quick easy way to make a Legacy Rig with the standard ORK Game Controls use S as a different animation to walk backwards? I looked at Control Maps, but I can't see anywhere in them that tells the character to move. When I tried Action None, he didn't do anything when I pressed S. Mainly because the Vertical Axis is listed as 1 entity, I think I am having my issue. As even if I make a secondary Vertical to have S be used only, if I tie that to the Vertical Control I will lose W as walk forward. It seems to give me only the choice of one or the other with the Axis being listed as 1 option.

I figure if I were to go to Mechanim then I would get an Animator which would have the avatar and allow for that control map, but I was really really hoping I could have him use Legacy and run off the system like the rest. Any advice would be awesome, so far every time you point me somewhere I fix my issue within that 10 minutes. Thanks again for the help.

Best Regards,
Mel
  • edited March 2021
    Mecanim can still use autoanimation, if thats what you're wondering. You set it up the same way but you tell the game that you're using mecanim.
    I could share my 3rd person set up if you'd like.
    Post edited by Wrofir on
    Miuratale : coming 2024
    Miuratale
  • I know it can, it is more an issue with everything else is already up and working as it should be, if I don't have to change to Mechanim for 1 model, I would prefer not to. If I have to, I have to. I don't mind working with it, I was more curious if the normal Legacy and Game Settings area could accommodate this.
    If I have to go Mechanim though for him, I will gladly take a look at your set up as a guide to help him get going.
    Thank you, Wrofir. :)
  • No, that's not possible - ORK's built-in controls are only there to get you started, as ORK isn't a control framework :)
    If you need anything more, you'd need to go for a custom control and probably also not use auto animations for this. The auto animations simply play movement animations based on the combatant's movement speed, there's no separate animation for which direction they move/face.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited March 2021
    Thanks Gil,

No worries and thanks for the response, I will look at changing up what I have to.

Curious though, if someone were to sponsor the feature, would you be able to split up the axis into 2 fields, + and - in ORK so it could be possible, in the future of course?

If so, I might be interested in sponsoring that. If not, at least I asked. :)

I realize it isn't a control framework, but really, if ORK had Axis split + and -, we could assign the forward animation to + and a backwards to -, and in the end, it removes a load of hassle from many areas. I would pay to see it done, as everything else is very simple and easy in ORK, that feature would make it so many new new people to Unity and ORK wouldn't need to go custom for movement and use what was provided as well as any other utility would.

If that isn't in your idea of what you want to do with ORK, what about another small asset like Footstepper that compliments ORK with a Control Handler? Knowing you, it would be set up easy and be guaranteed no hiccups with ORK Framework, and you could charge a small fee for that on the side instead of a Sponsor for a feature you may not want in ORK itself.

Have a great one Gil,
    Mel
    Post edited by Melchiah on
  • There have been a few times I wanted this as well, just a general split of + and - not just for movement but for various things would be a nice touch.
    Miuratale : coming 2024
    Miuratale
  • Sure, sponsoring such a feature is always possible :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!