So, in kingdom hearts, each weapon has a unique particle effect when making contact with an enemy (or object) like so:

I was wondering what would be the best way to accomplish this for a real time grid battle? I have three abilities as part of a basic attack combo: slash1, slash2, and slash3 with separate battle events for each. They each would target the tile in front of the player, and should only produce a hit particle effect if the tile contains an enemy combatant.

So should I make a variable that is updated by the equipped weapon to switch out the particle effect? Or is there an easier method of handling this? I also need to change the effect for when they hit an invulnerable/invincible enemy.
  • If it's for base attacks, the easiest way is to set up different base attacks for each weapon type (e.g. just overriding the particle effects of the battle events).

Otherwise, you can do it in the battle events by checking the user's equipment and use different prefabs based on that. E.g. using a Check Status or Status Fork node.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks, that makes sense. Though I’ve run into a somewhat strange issue. I set up my slash ability to auto target the tile in front of the player, and the battle event triggers with the hit effect prefab spawning for every tile except if the tile is holding an enemy. Any idea why that could be?
  • Uh ... could you give me details on the spawn node's setup? And the used game object (e.g. actor), e.g. if it's coming from selected data, what/how is it stored?
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • never mind, figured it out! I needed to include "add occupied cell" to the grid shape.