So after looking at the various options, I decided to go with MalberS Animal Controller, as his mecanim setup and animations system is very smooth and partially set up already.

I've been talking with MalberS to get tips on integration and such, but he's never used Ork so I'm having to fill in some gaps.

Issue 1 - The Control Debate
- AC comes with Malbers Input, which is its own input module that uses the Unity Input Manager.
- Ork has its own input system as well.

I first tried removing Malbers Input and driving it via Ork Button, Root Motion Animator. I've added the needed Control Behaviours. One for Player that uses class Manimal with the field bool of enabled set true. And the Ork cinemachine setup.

However, since AC uses Rigidbody physics and not the character controller, that input type leads to the player floating away and up into space unless you remove the rigid body and use the character controller. I did some searching on the forum and it seems that all the built-in Ork controls use the Character Controller.

If that is indeed true, then it seems it would be better to re-add Malbers Input and drive it that way. However, I'm not quite sure on how using your own custom input system plays with Ork. It seems you'd have to set your Ork Input Keys to use the Unity Input Manager.

But wouldn't that cause double-clicking? Both AC and Ork would be calling the Unity input manager unless I'm missing something. Also wondering if I should be using the Custom option in Input Keys instead. (so many options)

Issue 2 - Calling/Driving Animations

- AC has its own way of managing the animator, however, it is using the Mecanim animator and its normal component. However, it has its own scripts that watch and manage the animation flow.

The question is, which is the best way to handle this in Ork? Since AC technically uses Mecanim, should I use the Mecanim Settings in Animations? Or should I call AC via Custom Settings?

OR, should I not worry about using the Base/Control>Animations, and instead call AC inside of the Battle Animation schematic?
Currently making: Real-Time Diablo-like ARPG
  • 1) If AC's control works out of the box, all you need to do is let ORK know about it if you want ORK to enable/disable it.

This is done in Base/Control > Game Controls in the Player Settings > Control Behaviours.

Or, if it's for e.g. mounting something and controlling that, using a Control Component node lets you add/remove controls as well.

2) That depends on how AC's script is implemented or how much control it needs over the animations. I'd assume you don't really need to worry about movement animations and mainly focus on animating attacks.
    You can test if e.g. just setting up some attack animations (Mecanim setup in ORK) and playing them as usual in ORK (via Combatant Animation nodes) messes things up. If not, you're good, otherwise look into setting up custom animations in ORK, calling functions on AC's script.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • gamingislove said: This is done in Base/Control > Game Controls in the Player Settings > Control Behaviours.
    Yea, as I mentioned above, I have Control Behaviours set up for both the Camera and Player. So that's already done.

That still leaves my question about Input Keys/Control Keys. How does that play in with it?
    gamingislove said: 2) That depends on how AC's script is implemented or how much control it needs over the animations. I'd assume you don't really need to worry about movement animations and mainly focus on animating attacks.
    You can test if e.g. just setting up some attack animations (Mecanim setup in ORK) and playing them as usual in ORK (via Combatant Animation nodes) messes things up. If not, you're good, otherwise look into setting up custom animations in ORK, calling functions on AC's script.
    2.) AC has total control over animations. So yea, I don't need to worry about movement animations, or even attack animations. It has that, as well as its own Combo system for blending animations together in combo sequences.

I'll test it, though it seems like it's totally fine to let AC run all the animation and just call functions.

I did a quick test, and Ork seems to be adding physic forces to the character. As the character works fine until I have it spawn via Ork. And then it slides across the screen like being moved by unseen forces.

• 1) You probably don't need to worry about it.
    ORK's input keys are there to get inputs in ORK - a 3rd party control using it's own input stuff doesn't really affect anything there.

2) Hm, that'd only happen if you still use one of ORK's built-in player controls - when using custom controls they should be disabled.
    Also, check your combatant's movement component setup.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • gamingislove said: 1) You probably don't need to worry about it.
    ORK's input keys are there to get inputs in ORK - a 3rd party control using it's own input stuff doesn't really affect anything there.
    Ok cool. So going forward I only have to worry about Input Keys/Control Map for things driving directly by Ork.
    gamingislove said: 2) Hm, that'd only happen if you still use one of ORK's built-in player controls - when using custom controls they should be disabled.
    Also, check your combatant's movement component setup.
    So I double-checked to make sure Ork built-in players were turned off.

That leaves the Movement Component in the combatant. Should I be setting it to Custom and matching up the parameters?

Or using Navmesh?

No other controls get added to my combatant besides the combatant script and the Move A.I component, which is tied back into the Movement Component settings it seems.

• Man, this is stumping me completely.

There's something in Ork that is turning off the Gravity in my Rigidbody on Play and that seems to be part of the issue.

I've noticed that when you set Player Control Type to None, it still has options for Use Combatant Speed, Gravity, and Speed Smoothing. Would that have an effect?

I also added the No Control component to my Player Prefab to make sure it didn't add anything else besides the Combatant component. I checked my project settings>physics and the gravity is set to 9.81 as is generally suggested.
  • I'm pretty sure that ORK is doing nothing like that.
    Even when using ORK's built in player controls or one of the built-in combatant movement components, none of them change settings on rigidbodies.
  • It's definitely something in Ork. If I spawn it in a scene without Ork, the character can move fine. Only when it spawns via Ork, does it spawn with physics problems.

If I remove the rigidbody from the model and run the scene through Ork, then it works fine. The issue is definitely in how Ork handles rigidbodies without a character controller.
  • I made a blank scene with nothing but the character to make sure it wasn't something in the scene.

As I mentioned here, how do these settings play into it?
    Solkyoshiro said: I've noticed that when you set Player Control Type to None, it still has options for Use Combatant Speed, Gravity, and Speed Smoothing. Would that have an effect?
  • So after literally like 20 hours of testing, it seems to be something in the model. I ended up deleting it and reimporting it and it works now. I don't get it, but whateva.
  • I lied. It IS Ork, and I figured out what it is.

It was the rigid bodies that the Damage Dealer component adds on to weapons. They're set to kinematic by default and that seems to not play well with a rigid body control.
  • That's strange - while yeah, adding a damage dealer via the context menu setup will also add rigidbody stuff set up as it should be (i.e. it's nothing that's automatically done by ORk when adding controls or anything like that), having kinematic rigidbodies somewhere on your prefab shouldn't interfere with the base's rigidbody setup.

ORK also has controls/movement components via rigidbody and that's not impacted by some kinematic one from a damage dealer.
  • gamingislove said: That's strange - while yeah, adding a damage dealer via the context menu setup will also add rigidbody stuff set up as it should be (i.e. it's nothing that's automatically done by Ork when adding controls or anything like that), having kinematic rigidbodies somewhere on your prefab shouldn't interfere with the base's rigidbody setup.
    Don't know how it works, but you can replicate the behavior. It specifically is happening with Shields. I have a Weapon Socket (blank Game Object with a set transform) that I attached to the lower arm of the character so that Shields show up in the correct place. (On their arm and not in their hand).

For weapons that are held in the Weapon socket in the hand hierarchy, rigidbody isn't affected.

• Can't see the image and I don't have animal controller, so that's kinda hard to test on my end :)
  • Oops. I'll fix that.

I do think that integration with MalberS could be really awesome. His Mecanim controller fixes all the struggles without having to use custom code like Animancer.

And it's modular so it doesn't override Ork. But a bridge between the two would be awesome. You'd solve so many headaches with 3d people and Mecanim (in my opinion)