edited August 2014 in General Discussion
hello, im new to unity as well as to ORK framework. however i find the lack of documentation very upsetting, as well as the tutorials equally fusterating, the lack of sound is annoying and i cant tell what im doing wrong half of the time.

im trying to follow the tutorials but i cant even get past the first one succesfully. iv tried others as well and its not any better. i dont have the "rpg kit" they show in the first tutorial for items on youtube. iv tried the written tuts as well. can anyone help shed some light and maybe give a begginer a few tips.

btw if this is posted in the wrong spot, sorry, i figured general discussions is a ok spot for a rant/cry for help...
  • edited August 2014
    Don't follow the tutorials on Youtube, for they are only for Ork 1 and is useless for the current version (ORK 2 aka ORK Framework). The written tutorials on this site are the one you should be learning from. What do you have problems with following the written tutorials? The written tutorials are very clear and explain everything perfectly. I know everything can be confusing at first, but just like everything you do, it'll get easier by time. So don't give up hope.

PS, GiL said that ORK Framework is for people who are familiar with the basic of Unity. So if you are new to Unity, it might be hard for you to work with ORK.
    Post edited by Shadow_Fire on
  • edited August 2014
    Start a project and then import the ORK Framework. Then import the Tutorial Resources from here. Start doing the tutorials from here and ignore any YouTube videos as Shadow_Fire says. If you are then stuck ask a question. The tutorials here are very clear.

If you are new to Unity you might have more stuck points than you would have if you were comfortable with Unity so maybe work on your comfort level there too.

In my humble opinion you are not going to find a better engine to make an rpg game especially on mobile for Unity. So take your time and learn what you need to learn to make it work for you.
    Post edited by Catacomber on
  • I would have to also recommend that you completely familiarize yourself with Unity before delving too much into ORK; you'll only be making things more difficult for yourself without doing so.
    Tactics RPG Grid Battle System for ORK
    ---------------------------------------
    Personal Twitter: https://twitter.com/AMO_Crate
    I make RFI! https://twitter.com/NootboxGames
  • You're using the wrong tutorials - those where for ORK Okashi RPG Kit (which was a previous version), this is ORK Framework.

You can find the tutorials for ORK Framework here. I'd recommend starting with the game tutorials, they'll go through creating a small game from start to finish (i.e. how the demo was created).
    You'll still need basic Unity knowledge for them :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • ok, that makes more sense, i tried like 4 of the youtube tutorials and that was where most of my fustration was coming from, lack of sound, and not knowing what to do as well.

i believe i tried the first written tutorial too though(actually its the 2nd, main menu tutorial), and im confused how to get the gui screen to appear, like how to get the start menu, all i see is the sky.

also i thought if i looked at a demo project i could understand how to use it. but im confused how to get it loaded into my game.

you are probably right about having alot of questions lol, i should familiarize myself with unity first. and iv spent the past 2 days doing that and have a very basic feel as to the gui of unity at least.

thanks everyone for your fast comments, i wont use the youtube tutorials anymore, and ill try to finish the written tutorials, giving them another shot :) this does seem like a super cool feature/engine or whatever you call it for unity, and looks very helpful for making a rpg. :)
  • sorry for the double post, i just tried to get the 2nd written tutorial and some reason i still cant get the GUI to appear? any thoughts?
  • Hi j1e3s5! =)

Well, I had the same problem as well. I went through the whole entire tutorial just to find out that I did some things wrong which didn't work as intended. So, here's my suggestion which I did and helped me out understand the system.
    Go to the top of this page and go to "DEMO" tab. Now, you will see the "Download Project" tab that's color red. Download that and unzip it. Once unzipped, cut and paste the entire demo folder to "My Documents" folder. If you don't know where that's at its located in c://Users/youraccountname/My Documents/

So, after you copy and pasted the entire demo folder to "My Documents" folder, open up unity. Once that's open, go to the "file" tab and go to "open project". After you've done that, go to the bottom tab of that new window that popped up that's labeled "Open Other...". A new window will open titled "Open Existing Project" and from here scroll down and look for the demo project folder that you've cut and pasted. All you do is scroll down till you find that folder. Once you've found it, highlight the folder and click the "Select Folder" tab that's located in the bottom right of the window. This will open that demo folder and your good to go.

Now, in unity, to actually play the demo you have to look at your screen and look for the "Project" tab. You will have 4 tabs total "Hierarchy, Inspector, Project, and Console" which I don't remember where they are located by default because i moved mine around to fit my preference. Once you've found the "Project" tab, you should have a "favorite" with a star on the left folder and an "Assets" folder which both have an arrow pointing right to both those folder. Uncollapse the "Assets" folder by clicking on the arrow to the right of the folder if it hasn't already. Now, scroll down till you find the "Tutorial Resources" folder and uncollapse that too. From there, scroll down till you find the "Scenes" folder and click on it. By clicking on the "Scenes" folder it should bring up 0 Main Menu, 1 Town, 2 Field, 3 Game Over, 4 Battle Arena texts on the right side of that "Project" tab or somewhere around there; just look for those. Once you found those, double click on the "0 Main Menu" and it will open up a new scene and creates the game for you. From here, go all the way to the top of the screen and hit the "play" button and your good to go. Now, if you want to do some editing in the frameworks, all you do is go to the "Window" tab which is at the top of your screen and go to "ORK framework" and this will open the framework window and you can work all your magic there! Well, I hope that helped you to get started and good luck! =)
  • Better yet, after you've downloaded the "Demo Project" folder from the website and copy and pasted it to "My Documents" folder, watch this video to play the demo. It can get pretty confusing for those that are really new to unity and ork and I'm not sure how new you are but just to "eliminate" all that, I've downloaded the project demo from the website and made a video for ya to help you get started, hopefully! Good luck! =)

Video link:
    http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2eellzt>&s=8#.U_tZa_ldV8E
  • @j1e3s5
    Start with the first tutorial - the game tutorial are in sequence, if you skip one it's not gonna work.
    You're most likely missing the Game Starter that has been added in tutorial 1.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • wow that was really nice of you to even make a video @ramen , ill try to do what you said in your post as well. thanks so much, i am super new to unity, like as in i just got it and installed it this week.

also, i did start with the first tutorial. i have the game starter. im just kinda confused as to why the gui didnt pop up. ill try to do what ramen said and check out her video too. thanks everyone. :)
  • OMG, i got it, also i think i should mention a bug or something, as i really dont think this was my fault, or anyones.

i followed ramens video and couldnt figure out why mine still wasnt working, i had the camera and the ork game starter, what i did was i hit the "effects" button,located below scene and game. and the main menu popped up. im not sure why but maybe its due to how ork is coded into unity. just thought i would at least let you know if this is a bug. or maybe its supposed to be this way and im just being nooby :) either way the menu pops up after i hit the effects tab. :)
  • Oh no, the effects buttons are just to turn off certain features like skybox or fog or other stuff during game for your preference and its not part of ork. You don't have to worry about that and you can always turn that on again whenever you like. =)
  • Let me know if you've got any other questions, i'd be glad to help =)