I'd like to get some input from fellow devs regarding design decision I need to make. I like both scenarios; so, I need an outside (potential players) perspective if you don't mind.

My game is similar to Might and Magic 6, Wizardry 8, even a dash of old EQ1. I have zones, maps, whatever you want to call them, that you can travel to some of which are separated by ocean.
My first option is to have an actual moving boat that you board and sail to your destination. For those who played old EQ, the same setup with the boats.

My second option is have you speak with the captain of the boat, pay the fee, and transfer you to the dock in the new zone. With this option, the boat is only available on certain days of the week.

I have both options working in game right now. I like both options as I said. Taking the boat ride makes the world feel larger like you are actually travelling somewhere. The second option allows for a faster travel system; but, only on certain days of the week. This idea came from playing M&M 6 recently :)

So, if you don't mind, what are you thoughts?
  • edited October 2014
    to me if your making a fully open world game id go with boat travel options but at the same time you could still use the other option but add in the boat travel instead of a teleport that way its more cinematic. so my thoughts are like this

option a boat : use if you have an open world game were the story isnt really important as exploration

option b captain : use if your doing a in depth story with the add in cinematic approach have showing the boat sailing across the water...

option c both : just use both but split the way of travel from area to area like 1 town u can only travel once a week with option to hard to get to areas an another any time they please...

those are my thoughts
    Post edited by wtyson on
    new website can be found here http://www.fore-loregames.com

Follow the game Development on Twitter https://twitter.com/Fore_Lore_Games

or check out the face book page here https://www.facebook.com/ForeLoreGames
  • edited October 2014
    My players (of our The Quest expansions) are used to talking to a Captain and you see the portrait of a ship and you arrive at your new destination. You pay 50 to 200 gold depending on how fancy the port you're going to is and how far away. But I have some expansions that have levels on boats and fighting pirates can add some fun. Have never used travel on a boat but it's your vision so I'd say do what you like. : ) You can do both if you like.

Edit: In our expansions, you can only take the boat during the day because npc's aren't visible at night.
    Post edited by Catacomber on
  • Why not make the captain available all the time like the boat ride and add a custom option menu (or additional choice in the dialogue) to skip the actual travel. Sometimes it's nice to enjoy the ride, but sometimes you're just in a hurry and want to get something done quickly :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • A couple of questions about the options you set up so far, just to get a better idea on what the whole context is for each.

For the first option, is there something that the player can actively do while they're sailing out on the boat that's unique to that experience, such as searching for unique look, running across rare encounters, discovering hidden side quests - something that would add to the player experience in exchange for the time required. While I agree it does make the world feel larger, I'm not sure I would trade off the player's time commitment for that benefit alone. A typical player only has so much time to play during any given session, and I would generally lean towards filling that time with more active experiences than passive ones like watching the waves roll by. I guess it would also depend on how much time the boat ride actually takes - are we talking 5 seconds or 30 seconds or longer?

For the second option with the captain, is there a narrative reason for him to be available only on certain days, and how long is a day if the player needed to wait? And how often do you foresee the player having to take the boat back and forth? If it's something they'll have to do a lot of, I would lean towards making him available at all times, as GiL suggested. If it's only a rare occurrence and you have other NPCs operating on the same daily schedule type mechanic (so there's already a built-in expectation about time management), it may not be too bad. especially if days pass quickly.

My little chunk of the internet: http://artemic.com
  • All - thanks for your 2 coppers. I appreciate the input.

@Firrerreo
    Right now the boat ride takes about 3 mins going from one zone to the other. I was thinking about possible events that could trigger. But, as a player, they would be neat the first time and get old the 100th time :) You would be able to do some crafting if I put that in.
    As for the captain only sailing on certain days, I saw that mechanic in Might and Magic 6 and really liked it. They used it for the stagecoaches as well. There was no in game reason for this specifically. So, I figure the boats were resupplying and the coach wasn't around :)
    However, in M&M 6 you can advance time through resting which can make the days go by quickly (at the cost of 2 food per day). And, yes, all long travel options like the boat would operate on a daily schedule.

The boat is a means to travel between the zones. I'm going for an open world/exploration with a story line- just not in your face type story line; well, initially.

Others that I have asked liked the boat ride vs. dialog (quick teleport).
  • 3 minutes is quite a bit of time - I would definitely have something available for the the player to actively be doing if they're going to need to take it routinely. I still vote for the quick teleport option being available, and if you go with the 'only available on certain days route', having the ability to speed up time or skip days is a kindness towards your players, as M&M6 does. If I sit down to play your game, I'd like to actually play it and not just wait for time to idly pass. :)
    My little chunk of the internet: http://artemic.com