Hello, all,
I have done a number of the tutorials and thought I would try to make a small game to reinforce what I learned. I want to try something different [from the tutorial] of course, but I want to run it by some people first.

I was thinking of making a small open world map, with a house and a cave, and some areas where the player could go fishing and talk to villagers. I was going to be using the traditional 3rd person control for this, and a wanted to have a time limit of a game month or so that the player has to reach his goal. I thought he could end the day after his energy was gone - or maybe with a time limit. So is there a recommended asset to keeping track of time, or can this be handled by ORK? Instead of combat, I wanted to do a fishing event.
Any thoughts or suggestions about the daily countdown timer and how to handle fishing in ORK?
  • Using the Event system you can create a time and day system. here is the tutorial:

http://orkframework.com/tutorial/gameplay/time-and-day/

I used this as the basis for my time system, but i use skymaster for the dynamic sky system, since it had hidden (commented) code that helped the two assets communicate. my results are here:

http://forum.orkframework.com/discussion/3907/tutorial-i-think-sky-master-ork-time-system-basics/p1

there are other ways to obtain what you are looking for, overall it is up to you on how you would like to implement the feature.

• I'm wondering about Enviro - Sky and Weather? Anybody?
    Thanks @skwiggs1983 -- I am going to do the tutorial you recommended tomorrow and check out your asset too. I asked about Enviro because I already have it, and wonder if anyone else tried hooking it up with ORK.
  • I haven't tried Enviro with ORK yet, but I did a quick prototype using it with NodeCanvas a few weeks back -- it's on one of the threads here. I'd use a similar approach with ORK. You could let Enviro be your primary clock and make use of its UnityEvents to update variables in ORK. It doesn't get more granular than hourly, but I saw someone request a Unity Event delegate that gets called on each minute (in Enviro). Would be pretty simple to add it if this doesn't end up happening.

Then you'd just need a simple component that sets the ORK variables. I think this is better than doing it all via an ORK Event, as with the UnityEvents on Enviro you can easily have it notifying other objects in the scene. There's OnDay and OnNight events, for example, which could be used to turn street lights on and off.

Not sure if Skymaster has a similarly easy mechanism, as I don't own it. I do have Tenkoku, which does not.
  • @Keldryn Thank you Keldryn. I saw that post you're referencing. I haven't gotten far enough as to set-up my daytime system, but now I know that am going to go for Enviro and do it using the UnityEvents. I need to think about my approach more, but I may come back to you on this topic if you don't mind, like in a week. I do not plan on using NodeCanvas like you're doing and as of now, I only plan to use:
    1. ORK
    2. Dialog System
    3. Enviro
    4. Gaia

And hopefully that's enough. As I filled in my GDD, I noticed that I wanted to include more sim-type events, but everything is based-on a time cycle per DAY, not per HOUR. i.e., you have x energy per day, y hunger per day, and z harvestable per day. My project is non-combat, and involves a game world in which you focus on conversation events with NPCs, harvesting, fishing and fetch quests. And managing your hunger/energy before a certain number of days pass. This is why both the backend conversation is so important to manage, and the time system must work in my project.