Hello. I have been modifying and building the dll of Ork Framework 2 in Visual Studio to suit my needs on window 10. Recently, I migrated my entire development environment to a MacBook, but when I tried to load the project and build it in Rider IDE, it says I cannot build because .NET Framework 3.5 cannot be installed. Is it not possible to build the Ork 2 source code on a MacBook?
  • Through searching, I found out that .NET 3.5 cannot be used on MacBooks or ARM64 architectures(vmware etc). Can I build the source code of Ork2 in .NET 4 or 5 versions?
  • edited February 18
    When I upgraded the .NET version of Ork 2(3.5 to 4 or higher), countless errors occurred. It seems that modifying the code will be necessary to upgrade the project's .NET version. From a long-term perspective, it seems this process will be essential if I intend to use Ork 2 for an extended period. I need advice.

*According to the .net website, it seems that .NET 6.0 supports ARM64 from its version onwards. Should I consider using another solution?
    Post edited by KESHYAS on
  • edited February 18
    You also need to switch to a newer Unity version that supports those higher .NET versions and use it's DLLs.

The source code project comes with the DLLs from Unity 2018 (the lowest supported version), which doesn't support newer .NET versions.
    You basically just need to change DLL files you find in bin/References/Unity_2018 in the source code project for a newer Unity version's DLL files.
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thank you for your response. If I change the DLL files in the reference folder (unityeditor.dll, unityengine.dll, unityengine.ui.dll) to the latest versions that support .NET 5 or higher, would it be possible to compile the source code? In other words, since the original Ork2 source code is based on the 2018 DLLs, if the libraries in the latest version of the DLLs are written differently (with methods that have been deprecated), would I need to modify the code on based that?
  • The reason I'm asking is because the dependencies of the source code's core, editor, and framework are targeted at the .NET Framework 3.5 and Unity subset v3.5. Therefore, I'm curious to know if there would be any issues in upgrading the version of the .NET Framework. thanks
  • Yes, that should allow you to compile the code - and there shouldn't be changed methods that prevent compilation on Unity's side.
    I always test compilation with new Unity versions to ensure compatibility with new versions.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thank you for your response! I was curious about whether I needed to stick to .NET 3.5 version when compiling DLLs, and now my curiosity has been resolved. :)