edited October 2014 in General Discussion
Hello fellow RPG creators!
I'm transforming a game project that I started with RPG Maker to Unity, and I just generally asking tips and ideas how to do it well.
And if someone gets interested (and has time) to help me out with the project, I'd be more than happy to get help. (and if the project gets bigger I'll find funding for it so everyone working with the project would get paid)

Check the short RPG Maker demo at http://artificialprincess.com/download-demo/
The game is very big in storywise, and it has many familiar jrpg features, but some completely own aspects.

The reason I'm transforming it to Unity is mostly because I wanted access good cinematic experience, like all the camerawork (close ups for emotional moments, more visual cutscenes and so on.)
and I chose to try out the ORK because I would've needed an editor within editor anyway, especially for the rpg-system and battle-modes.
Even now there's two more editors I would surely need in the future so that the actual game making would be easier and faster and I could focus more on the actual content. Like I need a character generator that would create NPCs for the game (I need MANY of them, already in demo/first episode of the game would need about 17 different characters + a chicken :D)
If you've used RPG Maker VX Ace, that kind of generator that is built-in, but with 3D models.
Second editor would be some kind of map editor like in RPG Maker but again in 3D.

But first I'll make a small prototype about different features that are planned (like "combat" system, and skill/ability-system, and "questing"-system) those systems have " ", because they're the ones that are bit different, you'll maybe understand If you play the demo.

For now I'm looking just tips, ideas and suggestions. And if you have any questions about the game, please feel free to ask.

- Masashi86
  • Woot, welcome to Unity and ORK!

When you say 'generator', do you mean some kind of script assembly that's going to randomize and generate some prefabs for you based off of asset parts you already have, or do you mean you just need a big old pile of modular NPC pieces and preferably something to also put them together for you?

If you have an artist on board already (or you're artistically inclined yourself), you can easily create tons of different NPCs by having them create a small selection of models and rigs, and then just swapping out texture parts and the occasional little accessory item back in Unity. If you build the models in separate parts you can even apply different materials to each part, to do stuff like changing out the clothing while keeping the head the same (you'll just take a couple of draw call hits). He'd just have to build the base models with that in mind and not make them all unique. Otherwise, you might want to take a gander at the Asset Store and see what kind of premade character packs are available that fit with your theme and story. 3D Soul Awesome's work might work for you, based on a quick look at your project. You could then take these and repaint the textures too to get even more variation.

Were you planning this for mobile? If not, check out Unity's built in Terrain editor - it can handle most of the basic map editing stuff real nice like, but it's a wee clunky for stuff like tablets. If you haven't looked at it yet, check out their tutorials and demos (http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/script-Terrain.html). It's pretty straightforward to add your own prefabs and splat maps to it. Then you'd also want to look for prebuilt environment packs to just plop down on top of it, for stuff like houses and random world props. K4 Manufactura makes some nice environment packs, off the top of my head.
    My little chunk of the internet: http://artemic.com
  • The character generator would be close like this:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/11808 where you can switch the parts of the characters, like hair, clothing, accessories. and there should be base model for male and female. And If they would be using Mecanim-system, so their basic animations could be all shared, and if find or create more animations later, they could be added rather easily.

But the art style of the generator should be more like this https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/18705 a good looking anime-style.
    (I'm using Unity-chan for testing the planned features, character seems to be very close the style I had in my mind, and it was free :D)
    If I had a real budget for the game, I'd search that modeller who made Unity-chan and hire him as a character designer (even he seems to be a japanese :D).

And about the terrain editor, yes I know that Unity has one built-in, but I'm just thinking about the style of it, I'm bit unsure yet that what would be the best level style of the game, should it look more like classic jrpg, Top-Down view but in 3D world (might be easier to design), or beautifully done anime-style terrain. (maybe harder to design but would look amazing)
    The first one though would be something like this
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/18598 where you have simple textures and simple meshes (maybe I could try to model some my own objects in addition as well)

The other one could use the Unity's terrain editor as a base, but would need some special textures and shaders(for the anime look), lots of models for buildings and trees, and other small details.
    Well actually the first one does also need lots of props, but they can be more simplified.

I don't have yet any artists with me, so far I'm doing this solo. I can understand many aspects of how something could be done, but yet lack of the deeper expertize of doing it, pretty much all aspects except content, story, characters, cinematic, and so on (maybe it's because I have a film school background) that is also one reason I'm searching people who could have interests of helping me with the project. in solo-mode this will take long time to make it.
    But every time I'm thinking the story, characters and the world I have in my mind, I start to love it more and more, so I really have to do it :D

And so far I'm thinking to make it for PC, but if it would become bigger project, I could see the potential to spread to consoles as well. Also I have a feeling that this game would be pretty highly liked in Japan (especially if it would be translated in Japanese), if it will be done just right.
  • Welcome to unity and ork!

problem you will have big time is that rpg maker is based off ruby scripting which is 100% different from unity. rpg maker comes with a free character generator you will not find a 3d version of that unless you buy a kit that has a bunch of textures to it so you will be spending a good deal of money just to get something like that. but if you go that route your looking at not getting anything thats actually worth it unless you get custom made. what i suggest is this stick with the 2d for your first game using ork u can use the 3rd party 2d character generators to make your characters with and or make your own u can even use the sprites from rpg maker. this way you can create the world you want with out having to spend to much money. you shouldnt get in over your head with your first game unless you have the funding to do things like pay for custom models other wise you will end up getting frustrated. Im also a solo dev but im funding my game by working 2 jobs. And just a little advice any game your making dont rush it... rushed games never make the cut. BUt that is my opinion. like mines 4 months in development and ive gotten as far as 1 scene and a few interiors done and my gui system almost complete . but well worth the time and effort!

also if you want to make a rpg stick with ork dont use anything else or you will run into lots of issues :P ork is pretty much the best unity rpg plugin you can find out there that dosent suck :P

anyways good luck with your game ! and remember any question regarding ork the support forums are the best place to ask its one of the best communities!
    new website can be found here http://www.fore-loregames.com

Follow the game Development on Twitter https://twitter.com/Fore_Lore_Games

or check out the face book page here https://www.facebook.com/ForeLoreGames
  • edited October 2014
    Second what wtyson had to say. I tried to download your demo but I couldn't so commenting based on what you say you want to do.

You can do what you want with ORK. I agree that using any other engine is probably going to be a waste of your time.

Don't go crazy with assets from the asset store until you can get something simple working. I've bought a lot of things that were a waste of time.

I have a film school background too--double major in film and economics.

The economics side of me says use ORK and try things out without spending too much money until you find things work for you. : )

The film school part of me says you are in good hands using ORK--you can go crazy with ORK once you know what you're doing. : ) Especially with showing the emotions of characters in a close up if that's what you want do do. You can have npc's walking around without spending a penny except you need some cheap monster to experiment with because the npcs are combatants.

The game making part of me says just dive in and make your story and game play and graphics the best you can---everything else will take care of itself. : ) Except you have a learning curve and have to tackle it.
    Post edited by Catacomber on
  • Thanks for your opinions and support! :)

I know that Unity and RPG Maker are very different in many ways, but I wasn't trying to just translate everything from RM just as it is, but improve many things along the way.
    And the switch from RM to Unity(or other 3D engine) was a desicion that would've be done anyway, because when I was creating the demo/first episode of the game(which I started about a year ago), I was thinking of approaching game studios with the good demo-version of the game and that way showing and pitching the concept and idea of the game to them to make it bigger project, and telling for example about its potential of becoming to a franchise (followed either with more episodes of the game, or making an anime-serie based on the core story and characters of the game)

But when I got the first demo ready, (in December 2, 2013) the "real" life struck so that I couldn't continue the project, but now things are bit better, so I wanted to continue this project and see how far I can get with it. And instead of trying to pitch it to game studios, I decided to do it by myself, at least start of it.

So my plan here is such, I'm testing the mechanics and features that would make the core of the game with Unity and ORK, and see if I can make the results I'm looking for. And the testing phase can be made yet simplified models and maps.

After the core of the game is done, then it's time for finding(and maybe funding as well) or creating the generators and better looking models needed.
    A good RPG should be enjoyable even as a text based game, so I see it.

And no, I'm not rushing it, but of course, if I can find ways to speed up the process (and don't cost me too much money :D), I won't hesitate to use them, but if something takes long time then it take a long time.

I understand your concerns, and I'm thankful of them, but I'll try to see how far I can go with this, I just have to try, because, if I wouldn't try to do it, then it surely won't go anywhere and nobody else won't do it for me.

I'll be posting questions here for sure, whenever I can't find the answer by my own. This community feels to be very kind, so I hope I can give kindness back through my game! :D
  • I'd strongly recommend to first do some Unity tutorials on the basics (if you're new to Unity) and go through the ORK game tutorials afterwards.

That will give you the basic understanding on how things are done with Unity and ORK Framework. Don't rush in there and go right for your own mechanics, you'll get lost :D
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • @Masashi86

That first asset pack you listed is pretty much what I was talking about - build it modular and you can swap out whatever pieces you need/change materials and textures at will. As long as your rigs are humanoid without any extra odd bones floating around in weird places (like to control hair, wings or pieces of unique clothing), sharing the animation data between different character sets is pretty straightforward. You might need to play with the individual bone mappings a little to get it right fore each rig (don't assume that because a bone is labeled "Head" that it should be necessarily be mapped to the Head node, for example), but it's doable. Definitely start with Unity's Mechanim tutorials and free assets first to get the hang of it.

The terrain editor will make terrains that'll look like whatever you want it to look like - those free example assets just happen to be more realistic, but they're not part of the intrinsic nature of the editor. You can add whatever splats and prefabs you want to make it fit whatever aesthetic you want.

And 3rded/4thed to what everyone else said - the most important thing first is to get a working prototype up and functioning to test out ideas and see if they're fun, doesn't matter if it's all constructed with cubes. Games are interactive, and while something might sound awesome on paper, there's no substitute for actually being able to sit down and play it to see fit actually is working as planned.
    My little chunk of the internet: http://artemic.com