edited December 2014 in ORK Support
Would anyone like to share how they are using customization or create a player to workflow with ORK?
  • Are we talking about letting the player customize his character or the developer customizing the prefab?
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I want to see a way to allow the player to choose what they look like.
  • like a character customization, im sure the way we can already choose armor weapons etc in ork can be tweaked to handle this, and then theres always UMA, just want to see if people where successful in achieving this and how
  • edited December 2014
    In the past I've used an npc in a start event to customize either the gender of the player, the class and their starting equipment or what prefab would spawn as the player--for example, a female warrior or a strong troll. : )

You can spawn anything as your player---it could be a goo ball probably. : ) In some goo ball type game. As long as you tag it Player and it has all the stuff it needs like an Interaction Controller. You just make as many player prefabs and combatants as you want and give the player a choice. If you have for example a combatant that you can change it's hair or equipment, you can offer the player those choices via the start event.

That's as much as I've done but I'm sure you can take this much further. I just took a look at UMA but haven't done anything with it.
    Post edited by Catacomber on
  • edited December 2014
    There are other character customization schemes in the Unity Asset Store--Frogames has Warriors and Commoners--and there are others.
  • edited December 2014
    BTW--I think one of the easiest things you could do for a Player is to allow them a choice of icons---their avatars. But I don't know how to do this. : ( I'm pretty sure you could do it in code but don't know how to do that.

If I had the choice as a player between choosing my icon--avatar---and choosing whether I had a certain hairstyle or hair color, I'd go for the icon. But again, I don't know how to do that.

It would be especially useful for First Person games but then again--it's a very personal thing and I'm sure it would be useful to be able to do it in Third Person games as well--much more satisfying than changing the hair color of a player.

One of my favorite games allows you to upload your own picture as an avatar and use that---but that's pushing things. : )

And most of my favorite games don't allow you to customize your player at all---they just rely on terrific game play and I think that's probably more important than anything else.

• i made a character customizer for ork with the Events nodes that i use for Frogames Characters for face texture hair and Color. Body Type fat or Muscular and Height small or Tall . and Gender male or Female and name Change also. took a bit to make.
  • if you want to take a look at it i can put the event asset in my dropbox i have to reorganize nodes to be neat looking right now its a bit of a mess if your interested.
  • edited December 2014
    I'm interested. I'm sure others would be also. : )
  • edited December 2014
    ok ill post it up
    Post edited by canibecooltoo on
  • edited December 2014
    heres the Character Creater for anyone whos wants to look or use this is made for Frogames Warrior and Commoner + Female this is only the Ork event.asset

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ok4sfbn27117zu0/Ork Asset.rar?dl=0
    Post edited by canibecooltoo on
  • edited December 2014
    I got it downloaded and imported and it looks very interesting. Lots of nodes. : )

Will have to import Frogames Warriors and Commoners and Females into that project and then see how things go. Luckily I have them both. : ) Have been a Frogames fan for a long time. : )
  • starting messing with the Scaling node seeing if i can do something similar to UMA Character adjusting body parts i might have to Adjust the Character with Blender set him up into pieces so each body parts can be adjusted.
  • chest adjust upper body arms wrist hands and head

hips adjust the leg length

the legs for thin or thick

Head if you want the Character to have a big head

so far of what i can do with the Scaling node. till i cut him up into separate body parts.

• also planing on seeing if i can set that character creater up with the ork gui using the Control HUD and Events with the wait for input node