edited February 2015 in General Discussion
Has anyone installed the new 64 bit support patch for iOS? I see there are many problems-Am working on filing a bug report as I just installed the patch and changed the backend to IL2CPP in Player Settings and my project builds with about 140 warnings and it launches but while it runs fine in the editor it dies right after it launches.

I stripped down the file to send to Unity with a bug report.

When I stripped down the file. It launches and runs but my main menu is not there.

@Gil--if it's related to ORK would it be helpful for me to send you my stripped down file?

Following is the very long message--I'm not surprised at the missing mono behavior script as the file is really stripped down. Before I stripped it I couldn't get it to run at all---I increased the trampolines by the way---new file that includes 32 and 64 bit architecture is very large.

The console message: --The music is still playing by the way and I see a button I created manually but no main menu. Not to have this a huge message--tomorrow I'll take out all but the last line of this message.

2015-01-25 23:51:03.084 Omber[16929:2500142] -> registered mono modules 0xc9d0a0
-> applicationDidFinishLaunching()
-> applicationDidBecomeActive()
Requesting Resolution: 768x1024
Renderer: PowerVR SGX 543
Vendor: Imagination Technologies
Version: OpenGL ES 2.0 IMGSGX543-113.3
GL_OES_depth_texture GL_OES_depth24 GL_OES_element_index_uint GL_OES_fbo_render_mipmap GL_OES_mapbuffer GL_OES_packed_depth_stencil GL_OES_rgb8_rgba8 GL_OES_standard_derivatives GL_OES_texture_float GL_OES_texture_half_float GL_OES_texture_half_float_linear GL_OES_vertex_array_object GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_color_buffer_half_float GL_EXT_debug_label GL_EXT_debug_marker GL_EXT_discard_framebuffer GL_EXT_draw_instanced GL_EXT_instanced_arrays GL_EXT_map_buffer_range GL_EXT_occlusion_query_boolean GL_EXT_pvrtc_sRGB GL_EXT_read_format_bgra GL_EXT_separate_shader_objects GL_EXT_shader_framebuffer_fetch GL_EXT_shader_texture_lod GL_EXT_shadow_samplers GL_EXT_sRGB GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_rg GL_EXT_texture_storage GL_APPLE_clip_distance GL_APPLE_color_buffer_packed_float GL_APPLE_copy_texture_levels GL_APPLE_framebuffer_multisample GL_APPLE_rgb_422 GL_APPLE_sync GL_APPLE_texture_format_BGRA8888 GL_APPLE_texture_max_level GL_APPLE_texture_packed_float GL_IMG_read_format GL_IMG_texture_comp
ression_pvrtc
Creating OpenGLES2.0 graphics device
Initialize engine version: 4.6.1p5 (ea3e5beea19a)
Mono Class HideInInspector couldn't be found! This might lead to random crashes later on!

(Filename: Line: 114)

Unable to find type [UnityEngine.dll]UnityEngine.ResourceRequest

(
(Filename: Line: 1769)

The referenced script on this Behaviour is missing!

(Filename: Line: 1608)

A script behaviour has a different serialization layout when loading. (Read 24 bytes but expected 44 bytes)
Did you #ifdef UNITY_EDITOR a section of your serialized properties in any of your scripts?

(Filename: Line: 1170)

2015-01-25 23:51:09.874 Omber[16929:2500142] Received memory warning.
WARNING -> applicationDidReceiveMemoryWarning()
Post edited by Catacomber on
  • I don't think that's coming from ORK - the error states that it can't find the Unity dll and e.g. the HideInInspector class (which is part of Unity).

ORK currently only supports official releases, can't do this for every patch release they throw out (which aren't official releases for a reason :D).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks. I have everything backed up. I think I'll just reinstall the older version and wait for them to clean things up. It's really a mess.
  • edited January 2015
    I have a post in A Few Questions about whether I can copy some event files into my current project from a different project running the same version of ORK. That's because I lost two weeks of work installing this patch that I hoped to be so helpful. I've used patches before and they always worked flawlessly. Not so this one.

I'm happy I have that backup file to work with because this patch really causes problems.

If anyone wants to follow the problems we who have installed the patch have had, you can look here. I don't recommend anyone use the 64 bit patch for iOS unless you like wearing hair shirts and flagellating yourself with thorns. : {

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/4-6-ios-64-bit-beta.290551/page-6

Everybody there has apps they were hoping to be able to run with the 64 bit required functionality so they can submit their apps to the App Store at some time soon I think. Me included.

I really don't recommend using the patch although I know Unity is working very hard to make it better. It would probably be wise to wait for Unity 5.0 to be an official release. Or wait for this patch to become an official release for 4.6.1.

Problem is if you want to submit your app to the Apple Appstore in February, it has to support 64 bit and any app you have in the App Store has to support 64 bit by I think it's June 1st.

February is just a few days around the corner.

Another problem is if you are including both 32 bit and 64 bit support for your app---your app is going to be a large size!

Most iPad airs and the newer models of other devices like iPhone 6 and the latest version of iPad mini run 64 bit so not sure if am going to include 32 bit support going forward.

My humble device however is 32 bit so I guess I'll have to buy a new iPad mini. : { Oh, what is the name for new things coming and old things going on the ash heap--built in obsolescence.

My device which I am so fond of works beautifully but it is being obsoleted!

This is no joke for anyone wanting to upload a new app to the App Store in February.

I hope Unity gets things sorted out. My target date for uploading Omber is now March or early April. I pray the gods things will be sorted out by then.

Considering Android as a platform, although I'm sure it has its own problems.

Also considering 2d rather than 3d for iOS because of the large file size resulting from including both 32 and 64 bit builds.

• edited January 2015
    Yeah, the x64 beta patch is pretty broken and buggy at the moment, or so I've been told.
    Post edited by Kirb on
    Tactics RPG Grid Battle System for ORK
    ---------------------------------------
    Personal Twitter: https://twitter.com/AMO_Crate
    I make RFI! https://twitter.com/NootboxGames
  • edited January 2015
    It's a horror story. I'm seriously considering going 2d because the file size going forward if you want to include both 32 bit and 64 bit builds in your app is always going to be smaller with 2d than 3d.

It's not really nice to forget the players who have the older devices. So I have a lot to think about.

And I come from a background of making 2.5d games. Not 3d. I love 3d and have spent a lot of time perfecting my 3d terrains and graphics but something like this just throws it up in my face that maybe 2d would be better.

And the thing is if anyone wants to submit an app to the app store any time soon--it has to support 64 bit--I cry for the people in that thread I posted that are struggling to get their apps uploaded and accepted by Apple---

I can wait a few months. Or I can consider Android. : [

It just caught me at a bad time because somehow I completely trusted that the patch would work
    --

and I lost two weeks of productive work. If I can import the event files of the version I had in the rotten patch files to my good file, I can catch up.

• edited January 2015
    Yeah. At work we just managed to get one of our games into the submission process last week to beat the x64 deadline. Of course, Apple is incredibly vague about where in the submission process the gate for the x64 requirement is, so we just have to hope our contact at Apple won't screw us over. (which is not unprecedented...)
    Post edited by Kirb on
    Tactics RPG Grid Battle System for ORK
    ---------------------------------------
    Personal Twitter: https://twitter.com/AMO_Crate
    I make RFI! https://twitter.com/NootboxGames
  • edited January 2015
    The official release of Unity 4.6.2 is out now with support for 64 bit builds in iOS and il2cpp as the backend instead of mono --

http://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/unity-4.6.2

but I'm not even going to go there yet---it seems to be really buggy. Going to wait a month and see how things--like peoples' hair--fall out. Still re-inputting Omber because I tried their patch and it ruined my file. Of course, I had a backup thankfully and redoing often means you redo it better but still-----

also there seems to be a problem of a very large file size if you build for BOTH 32 bit and 64 bit because the ultimate file contains both builds. I think we're going to scrap 32 bit once Unity has this thing working all right.
  • Hi, Gil-- it's Feb1 now and I have to bite the bullet to get my project running in 4.6.2 release of Unity which has the 64 bit support for iOS. I thought my problems were only Unity related but it appears from reading more about Il2cpp that any plugin has to support it. Or things go awry. I was reading here that it's important to contact your third party vendor and ask them if their code supports il2cpp. Apparently some functions might be stripped even though you don't choose stripping in the player settings and recompiled into C++. I don't really understand all the technicalities.

So here I am. : ) Asking--it seems I can't really avoid this now as you can't upload a new build to iTunes connect without the 64 bit support so can't use test flight.

I just found this which you possibly already saw---

http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/iphone-64bit.html

So am I ok Orkwise? Thanks very much.
  • Since ORK Framework isn't a plugin (which would be C++ code DLLs in Unity), just managed DLLs (i.e. mono code packed into a DLL), it should work just fine from what I know.
    I haven't tested it yet, though :)

I can probably test it in a few days - if you don't want to wait that long, remember to keep a copy of your project before upgrading to Unity 4.6.2 in case something goes wrong :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited February 2015
    I'll wait for you to test it. : ) Thanks. Can you test it with both legacy graphics and new ui? I already wasted a file on their ill 2cpp and have gone back to 4.6.1 just to finish.

Thanks, Gil many times over.
  • Ok, did already test it and I can confirm that it's not working :)

I still don't think that's a problem with ORK Framework - just testing an empty project with a single scene, without any scripts (and no ORK Framework) results in the same error (UntiyEngine.dll not being found) ...
  • edited February 2015
    Thanks for testing it so quickly.

A lot of products apparently don't work well yet with il2cpp. Ngui doesn't appear to work. Apparently you can see the buttons but nothing happens when you click on them. I don't use it but I know some do.

I don't use Playmaker but it has its own other problems like huge Mach-o linker errors. So lots of problems all around.

I'm following the various discussions in Unity and in the Apple developer forum. I don't know enough about the coding but it seems some things are being stripped so they can't be found. Mscorlib doesn't appear to work with il2cpp.

I haven't updated yet and I can test by delivering manual files to my testers not using test flight.

This appears to be a major headache for everybody. It also appears you are stuck with building both for 32 and 64 bit so the resulting file is twice as large in addition to the +30% il2cpp adds. What kind of files are the largest usually? Rpg games. :/

And I've asked the question four times in the Unity forum what could cause that failure to find that dll and still have no answer.

• edited February 2015
    @ Gil---I just got an answer from RalphH of Unity about the Unity engine dll not being found--

"Hi,

The two missing types have nothing to do with the actual crash; and unless you reference them in your project they will show up. This was a bug on our side, but not the cause of your crash. If you haven't done so yet, please file a bug so we can have a look."

I did send them a bug report 1/26 but apparently they haven't gotten to it yet.

Just letting you know the progress----and what they say is a problem. : )
  • edited February 2015
    Just got some good news. They've found the bugs or at least some of the bugs they needed to fix to get my stripped down version of Omber running with il2cpp but they won't make it in until patch after next which is ok as they have some other things to fix yet as well like longggg compile time. : ) So even more progress.......
  • Yay :)