edited February 2015 in ORK Support
I've been making my way through the tutorials and I've gotten a turn based battle set up. However, I'm experiencing a couple of odd things and I can't account for the reasons why.

First, there will be times where attacks will not calculate damage. The character will run up, do their little animation, and nothing happens. There's no damage notification or Miss notification and the HP in the HUD remains the same. Literally nothing seems to happen.

Second, I have disabled all options to counter attacks. At least, I thought I did. But there are times every now and then when one character will attack another and they will take a huge amount of damage in return. Like, 8 times that of the usual damage done.

Any ideas what might be causing these issues?
Post edited by gamingislove on
  • 1) Could be due to attack/defence attribute setup (e.g. fire element attack on someone with attack attribute value 0 for that would do no damage), block chance (without block notification), etc.

2) Does the battle notification tell you that it's a counter attack? Could just be a normal attack - the high damage probably comes from doing a critical hit. Also, only setting the counter chance to 0 wont stop counters - since chances are done based on a random number (by default from 0 to 100), it can still just hit plain 0 at random, being within the chance of 0 :)
    To stop counters, you need to disable the Counterable setting in the abilites.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited February 2015
    1) I double checked the attributes, nothing is jumping out at me. The thing that's odd about it, it it's completely random when it doesn't work. Sometimes the attack will not calculate damage, though most of the time it's fine. Perhaps it is being blocked? It seems to only happen with my regular 'attack' and not any spells/abilities. Right now though, under 'Value Change' Blockable is disabled.

2) No, that's what I thought was odd about it as well. There's no counter notification and the damage is instantaneous. The character will run up, start to attack and then switch to their 'damage' animation instead. HP will go down for the both of them, though the one who attacked will receive a massive amount of damage, while the other character will just receive the normal amount of damage. Counterable has been disabled in the 'Attack' ability under Ability Settings.

EDIT: I went back, made my attack ability from scratch and so far it seems to be working correctly now. Looking over my previous attack settings, I still can't tell what I did or didn't do right in order to cause this behavior. It was amusing though! Thanks for the help! It really helped me to narrow things down to it being the abilities fault.

EDIT 2: D'oh, I set the critical to user instead of target. That explains the sudden massive amount of damage done to themselves when attacking. Still not sure about the lack of damage that would happen every now and then, but I'm sure it was due to something silly like this. Thanks again for the help!
    Post edited by LNMRae on