making this post for multiplayer if anyone would love to see this have multiplayer iam welling to toss in about 3 to 4k or more if i have to. to see ork have multiplayer in i cant really find any good rpg multiplayer on the assetstore that come anywhere near to what orkframework has. it can be made into a extension to ork if you want multiplayer or dont want it if that possible.
  • I would consider contributing, but we would need to carefully consider the different ways it could be accomplished, and consider that the programming that makes a game play in sync (client side prediction, etc.), can be complex and expensive to implement. Would it be best to have it be internal to ORK or pay GIL to integrate a 3rd party multi-player system? I went down this road a few years ago with Unity Park Suite and learned that there still isn't a multi-player system that gives you everything you need, out of the box in Unity and they all seem to require a programmer and lots of hours to get them up and running and working properly with a game. I have not given up, but it will be a task, and will not necessarily meet every designer's needs exactly.

I have been waiting and watching Bolt because they are promising out of the box client side prediction, master server and other features that would make a smooth looking multiplayer game for maybe a couple hundred simultaneous players, when polished. So, forgetting massive game, I would still have to get Bolt and Ork conversing, possibly using Ork systems, but not all of Ork. Then Wtyson, on this forum, said my plan was bad, and it would be better to forget Bolt and do multiplayer the way he is, outside of Ork but hooking Ork in, I believe, in his day job, but they must be doing a lot of programming to get it in proper sync, etc. GIL has said multiplay could be added by himself to Ork, but it would be costly, and what would be the specs and how would it function?

It's a real Job, any way you look at it.
  • Realistically, MP is a completely different beast, and each aspect of Multiplayer would be so unique to each individual game's needs that giving an adequate amount of freedom within ORK for MP wouldn't be possible without GiL completely rewriting the core code for ORK (or creating a different framework entirely). It's too broad a feature. I personally think it's best to let ORK remain single-player only.
    Tactics RPG Grid Battle System for ORK
    ---------------------------------------
    Personal Twitter: https://twitter.com/AMO_Crate
    I make RFI! https://twitter.com/NootboxGames
  • Yeah made this post for some ideas on how we should go about setting it up for multiplayer and geting with gil about it. When its all planned out
  • Personally I have no interest in a multiplayer. However if Ork allows for our own multiplayer system to connect thatd be cool.
    ORK user since 2014. Patron since 2018.
  • UFPS has a Photon mulitplayer kit on the asset store to be used with UFPS but is not part of the core package. Just throwing that out there as an example.
    Photon is likely the only way it would happen with ORK also, as it is free.
    The only person who can really comment on the viability of mulitplayer for ORK is GIL, who I believe has said that it is possible for a group buy option, which means it's worth looking into for those who are interested, and no one else need bother with it.