edited April 2015 in General Discussion
Hi fellers,
I was wondering with all my ideas, having my player already in the scene will be easier than spawning him. I'm just curious if down the road that will end up hurting me (ex. Ork eventually not being able to execute commands or what not). I still have him as a combatant, but the external scripts I'm using (playmaker fsms which I NEED coz I'm not trying to recreate all that work in Ork) forces me to just have my combatant already placed in scene. If/when he dies, I'll just have him revived. So not having a player spawner won't hurt right? Now or in the future...
  • I would just use ORK for everything you can. It is purpose built to be all encompassing when making a game. Very little is outside its scope and @GiL is always improving or adding features. GLHF!
    You will always fail at what you do not try.
  • edited April 2015
    I know and agree, but I've bought assets already which use other plugins/scripts like playmaker. I have a few AI programmed via Playmaker that I bought. I would like to use them within Ork and not just have them sitting there being useless. I'm still using the move AI and battle Ai Ork provides for combatants I'm creating from scratch though
    Post edited by gimme on
  • edited April 2015
    Also, for the secondary 'Player' character, he already came with the smoothest movement and camera with zoom and everything. He is totally programmed with Playmaker. The issue is that when I want him to engage in dialogue, I don't know how to use the Block Controls on him since playmaker uses FSM and I haven't seen a particular script name for the movement. If I tried to use the event system to get that type of camera/player movement that I should block (Same for camera). it would break my courage. I've already invested alot of $$$ into both Ork and my other Playmaker systems and I would like to use both.
    Post edited by gimme on
  • IMO I would have to agree with @robahouston. I looked at PlayMaker for some tasks outside of ORK quite some time back but then realized that it's just an FSM creator. You would have to do a TON of coding along with PlayMaker to even begin to do what GiL has already created. :)

Controller:
    I use an MMO type controller I purchased from the Unity Asset store and I use it in ORK. To add your controller to ORK, in the ORK Editor, go to Base/Control > Game Controls. Scroll down to Custom Controls.

Select where the script component is placed - on the player or the camera - in the dropdown next to Placed On. Since both of mine are on the player prefab, I have Player selected. It sounds like yours my be as well.

Enter the name of the actual component/script that's on your player prefab in the Behaviour Name field. Mine is 'RPGController' for example. Also for mine I added a second Custom Control for the camera script as well, and selected Player as Placed On.

As far as Blocking, I had to set Blocked By (n the Custom Controls mentioned above) to Camera for BOTH the controller and camera. And, for some reason, I had to add a 3rd Custom Control and set Blocked By Player to be sure I couldn't move in combat.

I hope this helps. I'm sure other, more knowledgeable members than myself, can give you some direction as well :)
  • edited April 2015
    The scripts if there are any, and I could be wrong double check with @gamingislove, can be used as plugins with ORK. Camera, movement, most or all can be used. As long as they don't conflict with ORK.
    I don't think that FSMs are compatible with ORK though. Also, I have no clue how to use plugins but there might be something with the scripting tuts.
    Post edited by robahouston on
  • @Squeaker Yeah I guess you're right about the Playmaker issue. I was hoping to hear I didn't lose my money investing in Playmaker controls for Ork :( but I believe what you said after finishing reading up on some external posts a few moments ago. Thanks though that's interesting that you used blocking by camera both times. I'll mess around with that and see if it works best for me also. One of the many scripts I have is Adventure Camera from the asset store; the issue with that one is that I can't make my player a prefab and delete from the scene to have Ork spawn him because the camera rig loses the reference to the avatar. I emailed the author and he said there's nothing else he can do about that, it's just how he made it.

@robahouston Yeah I did try a basic movement script last week and it plugged in well. However the movement sucks it just jumps from one direction to another with no smooth transition. The only controller I had work smoothly so far was the playmaker one, sadly. My project is stuck for now I guess. But thanks for the advice. If anyone has success with Real time battles AND AI both neutral and aggressive, please let me know. In the time being I'm gonna take a break from Ork.
  • Goodluck!
  • While it could work having the player already in the scene, you'll need to let ORK know that this game object is the player combatant's game object. Currently, you'd need to do this with a custom script that sets the player's game object like this:

ORK.Game.ActiveGroup.Leader.GameObject = this.gameObject;

Also, when not spawning the player through ORK, you probably wont be able to use stuff like scene changers and spawn points.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited April 2015
    I got Playmaker free as an Asset store Level 11 giftee and maybe in a year or so I'll try it out if I can use it for anything I can't already do in ORK and integrate it. I probably will never touch it.

ORK has everything you need to make a great game. I know how you feel about using assets you've bought. I have many I've bought that turned out to be not the best for my game even though they are very nice. For whatever reason--high polycount on mobile--missized meshes--too bland colors---awkward animations, errors when imported, whatever.

And because I'd done a lot of work getting them set up in my game--I was reluctant to part with them until I realized I'm making a game that has to work and work well and look good, especially on mobile.

I have to go with what works and let's me get my game done. It's a learning process. I hope you will hang in there with ORK even if it means progressing slowly.

I don't really know how to make Playmaker integrate well with ORK --if there's a way to make your life easier, that's great.

But if it doesn't work or is too stressful to make it work, I've found that starting fresh sometimes and using what does work is the best.

Post edited by Catacomber on
  • @ Catacomber Thanks, I already ditched the Playmaker plans (relegated for another non Ork project) I decided not to quit Ork and will just work fully on it. What is frustrating is that I do follow the tutorials and tips people post here and yet it doesn't work
  • edited April 2015
    If someone can post a screencast of setting up the move ai to patrol that would be great. I have Unity 5 and Ork 2.4.2
    Post edited by gimme on
  • Keep in mind that most of the tips posted here were using Unity before 5. I don't know if it matters but I do know 5 has some issues that still have to be ironed out. And it's not a good idea to upgrade a project to 5 unless you have infinite patience. It's better to wait and work on a new project in 5.
  • Yeah I was going to do that, but the 64 bit unity 5 caught me for rendering terrain and grass. It makes a HUGE difference. Good thing I have 4.6 still installed so i'll try the move ai on it