How do you guys debug with ORK? Like if a battle isn't working right, or the AI seems wrong, how do you go about finding what the problem is?

I'm having trouble finding out why some of my npcs just keep doing nothing..

Thanks for any help!
  • Some of it's trial and error and getting used to ORK by using the demo and doing the tutorials and asking in the forum.

If your battle isn't working right, look at the tutorial for whatever kind of battle you're using and check everything---see where your settings are different.

Your npcs will only do something if you have a character controller on them, have their animations set up in the editor and/or in an event---for example if you want them to walk you have to set waypoints---a path for them to walk on and then use an event to make them stop and talk to you for example at one of the waypoints.

Best to do the tutorials and then if you're stuck ask here.
  • There are event steps for writing to the console or displaying a notification on screen, so when I'm trying to debug an event, I'll start adding these steps in order to try and figure out where the problem is.

Also, you could use the Playmaker Actions for ORK, which will let you use Playmaker's step-through debugger, which can be very helpful.
  • edited April 2016
    Thanks,

I wasn't aware of the console output - that is something I will definitely start using.

What I was ideally looking for was something like that console output on events but for everything, so I could run ORK in debug mode to see what was happening - is that what Playmaker Actions does? I will look into it.

Thanks for your help.
    Post edited by deckrocket on
  • edited April 2016
    Hmm, still not sure why it is not working.

I've read through (what I think) all the related tutorials (abilities, formulas, battles, status values, equipment, AI, notifications) but I'm still having issues.

I'm able to see my enemies pop up, and I can select to attack one - after that they attack me back (I get a notification in the TopInfo box), but our health never changes, and nobody ever dies. When I use the "Test Formula" feature I should be doing 400 damage to the 200 health enemies. Is there something I'm maybe doing wrong with linking up the formulas to the actual attack?

Thanks in advance.
    Post edited by deckrocket on
  • I figured out that I was not using the formula correctly, and now damage is being applied - great! Sometimes it just helps me if I write it down so I can process it better!

I'm now reading:
    http://orkframework.com/tutorial/gameplay/battle-in-a-different-scene/

If anybody has a suggestion to make it so I can go from a home scene (where I can select different parties) to a battle scene (with that party against a group of selected enemies) that would be great!
  • Check the Events for Join Battle Group/Leave Battle Group/Is Battle Member for managing individuals in your battle party, or Create Group/Change Active Group to make different more permanent collections of party members you can select.

You could manage this directly from a normal UI dialogue, or look at the Menu Screens for Groups.

Without a bit more of a description of what you were trying to do, that's about as precise as I can be.
    My little chunk of the internet: http://artemic.com
  • What I'm aiming for is:
    1) I have a central scene where I can select my party/group members/equipment.
    2) I can select different enemies to fight against ( http://puu.sh/ofOwC/0c49dc84b0.png )
    3) Regardless of which group I choose to fight against it loads that group into my "BattleScene" as my opponents, and I am teleported there with my allies.

I will look more into those events. Thanks for the help.
  • This can all be done using the event system (and menu screens).

1) Either use the Group menu screen part or build a custom group management using the event system's choice dialogues.

2+3) Set up the different battles as explained in the gameplay tutorial you linked earlier. Use the game objects with the Battle components as actors in an event and use choice dialogues with your different enemies as choices. After each choice you can use a Start Battle step with one of the actors (with matching combatant set up).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!