Hi All,

Iv'e just started with ORK so I know I still have a LOT to learn... been through all the tutorials already and they were a great start!

So, iv'e got a NPC with Mechnim animations, I have it spawning from a Combatant Spawner and walking between a few different waypoints... that all works fine and the animations are working correctly.

My only problem is that the npc is about 2 feet off the ground for some reason... iv'e tried playing around with different Y offset settings but nothing seems to alter it. I have added the Place On Ground component but still no luck.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of what I should be looking at?

I should add that the character is a Mixamo character, not sure if that makes any difference or not...

Thanks in advance

Dean

• Thanks RustedGames, that almost sorted it... the npc is now at ground level however now it doesn't move, the walk animation is playing but the npc is stuck in 1 spot. I suspect it's because when I look at the character the Character Controller bottom seems to be at the npc's waist.

I tried adjusting it's Center but if I move it down to it's feet then the npc starts with it's body half way in the ground... i'm quite a noob when it comes to 3d characters, I have been working a lot with 2d sprites previously but not 3d characters so sorry for the dumb questions...

Thanks
    Dean
  • Can you move it the other way (so the capsule covers the entire character model nicely) - the center of the capsule should be at waste height for you biped. Currently the controller will be stuck in the mesh (if I have interpreted your description correctly).
  • Thanks @Phesant33

If I set the controller to completely cover the character by setting it's Y position to 1 it sits on the ground at the correct position but doesn't move, to get it to move I found I need to offset it's Z position by .04 or -.04 but the problem then is it doesn't get to it's waypoints to then move onto the next one as the capsule is blocking it.

It's really a bit confusing...

Dean
  • And don't just move the center, but adjust the radius and height of the capsule as well. As @Phesant33 said, you want it to just nicely and snugly cover the model.
    My little chunk of the internet: http://artemic.com
  • Thanks @Firrerreo, yeh, I did that so it's nice and snug but as per my previous message that causes problems with it actually moving for some reason.
  • Also check your root motion settings on the Animator component (usually should be off). If you think it's a problem in the animation, you can try applying one of the mixamo animations to another humanoid model you know functions.
  • @Firrerreo - ok, with root motion off it's better but still get's stuck at the first waypoint, it's like it doesn't quite make it there...

I'll play around with settings and try and work out what i'm doing wrong... makes me realise how much I have to learn with 3d over 2d :)

Thanks
  • Maybe one solution could be to change the waypoint location slightly. If they are on the ground you can raise them slightly?

• I'm getting closer playing around with different variables.

I now have my npc walking from waypoint 1 to waypoint 2 and it looks great, except when it get's to waypoint 2 it just sits there spinning around in a circle and doesn't go to waypoint 3...

• Ok, the spinning thing I think is an ORK setting you can tinker with? In your Move AIs, do you have Use Auto Stop checked? If you look at the help text for it, it can assist when you character starts to circle around a waypoint. I'd also start to mess with some of those stop distancing and timings in there if it doesn't quite solve it all the way.
  • Thanks @Firrerreo, I found those settings last night and have everything working perfectly now :)

Appreciate your help.

Cheers
    Dean
  • Yay, glad it's all working now. :D