edited June 2016 in ORK Support
I know this question has been asked before, but I cannot find a solution. All im trying to do is have my first person arms follow the first person camera. By default they follow horizontally but not vertically. I have tried making my character a child of the Main Camera but this causes crazy behavior. My character ends up running EXTREMELY fast and I run off off the map. it just doesnt work at all.

Any help would be appreciated.
Post edited by ThatRainGuy on
  • edited June 2016
    Not a complete solution at all but it might help with the crazy behavior---do you have your player character and your main camera and arms with weapons in different layers? Player in default layer and Arm rig and weapons in a different layer called anything?

I got this working all right this way but I had an inferior set of arms at the time and I'm not good at rigging and animating yet so I used just a weapon on an invisible cube attached to the player capsule. But the weapon was a child of the camera and in its own layer.
    Post edited by Catacomber on
  • I did figure out a solution finally from a previous answer and much trial and error, but there is no walk animation with this solution. :/ (Skeleton is mounted to an empty object thats mounted to camera)

I'll look into what you said though. Thanks for the reply.
    The community for this plugin is outstanding. I honestly dont know what if Id be making a game without ORK. :)
  • edited June 2016
    Handy Hands from the asset store with a Mecanim animation would probably provide a walking animation as well as fighting animation with a sword posed. I just haven't had a chance to try it and just learning Mecanim. I feel the same way about ORK. : )

There are a lot of Mecanim hotshots here that can help with Mecanim by the way.

I'll never go back to Legacy--like old Chinese saying---once you go Mac you never go back--once you go Mecanim--you never think Legacy um. : )

You can get so many animations at Fuse right now for free.
  • The crazy behaviour sounds like the result of multiple colliders on your player pushing each other. You'd need to find a setup where this isn't happening (e.g. no colliders on the arm/weapon/camera, or disabling collisions between 2 layers and having player and arm/weapon on different layers).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks for the tips. Im gonna check it out. It would be nice to have him actually play his walk animations when moving.

Brb.
  • Hmm... im not sure if im doing something wrong, but that isnt working either. I even disabled all the colliders and it still acts crazy when i make the character a child of the main camera. The only way i got it to work was by making the Camera a child of the player. Then making the characters skeleton a child of an empty object attached to the main camera. The only problem with that is he wont play any animations when moving. Is there possibly a relatively easy way to have him animate under those circumstances?
  • edited June 2016
    Don't make the character a child of the main camera. The main camera should be a child of the player. Use layers and try putting your character in the default layer and main camera in default layer and weapons in its own layer. Then you have to change what the camera sees so,it sees the weapons layer as well as everything else.

It's a little bit like adding a minimap. I'm importing a big asset into my project right now so can't check how I did this.

But player should not be a child of the camera in first person and you have to put the weapons and arms in its own layer. You can call that layer whatever you want.

You could see if this helps you at all. That doesn't use layers.

• Additionally, why do you make the player the child of an empty game object?
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • The camera is a child of my character. However, this doesnt make the arms follow the camera. Thats why i made my characters "Skeleton" A child of an empty object attached to main camera. This was the only way I got the arms to move with camera. I havent really had much time to mess with it though.

Basically. Its
    character/maincamera/EmptyObject/Skeleton.

Im only using this setup to test a first person/third transition at the moment. Which ive almost completed, but now im having a weird bug that only happens when running the game on Android. In the editor theres only one gun, but after i created an apk and ran it on my phone. Theres TWO guns. Is this common to have bugs that dont display in the edior but happen on Android?

Ive been extremely busy so its possible i just overlooked something, but this only happens in the first scene and on my android build. Not in the editor. Not in any other scene either. Im pretty confused honestly.

I have an idea of what could be happening but im curious as to what you think.
  • That sounds like more of a Unity problem. You might be better off asking about that in the Unity forum.
  • The root object of your combatant's prefab should be the actually moving object. If that's not the case, use the Child as Root setting to define the child game object that is moving.
    Otherwise the auto move animations (if you're using them) will use a game object that isn't moving, resulting in 0 speed and not playing movement animations.
  • Im extremely confused here. Im sorry being a pain in the butt, but this will make or break my entire game. I know im not doing something right...

I tried setting the child as root, but this isnt going to work either... because that seems to be pretty much the same thing as making my player a child of the camera. Because the only way ive gotten the arms to move with the camera is by making the his bones a child of the main camera after making the main camera a child of the player.

What is the proper way to achieve this? There has to be something im missing here.

I understand your suppose to make the main camera a child of the player. Ive done that. But whats the proper next step after this to make the arms follow the cameras movement? Ya know, without doing something stupid (like i currently am) and making my bones a child of the main camera.
  • Are your arms at about the shoulder level of your player? And positioned slightly in front of the player so the camera can see them?
  • Yes they are
  • Everything is working properly except for the fact that i cannot move his arms vertically. :/