edited March 2014 in ORK Support
I was wondering it if was possible to do click to attack. Assuming that the player hasn't selected an ability to use, I would like them to be able to click on an enemy, move up to the enemy, and then attack the enemy. I haven't been able to find anything similar to this in the settings myself.
  • There is no 'click on target and do a single attack' available.

However, you can use group target and auto attacks to do this. A group target can be selected by click (the settings are found in Battle System > Battle Settings) and target for attacks and abilities of the whole player group.
    The auto attacks are set up in the combatant's settings and basically use an attack automatically (e.g. on the group target).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I tried this and it is close to what I was looking for. However, something I should've mentioned (I completely forgot to do this), the game I'm working on is similar in style to Diablo and Torchlight. I've got movement set to use the mouse, so ORK seems to be setting the group target as soon as I get into range of an enemy, and then starts doing the attack even though the enemy is not actually within the weapon's range yet. Maybe I'm just not seeing how I should be setting things in the ORK Framework window.

Is a click to attack something that could possibly be added to the framework? I'm not sure if the group target and auto attack way is going to work out unless the settings can be tweaked enough to actually work like a click to attack.

What I did try was this. I turned on Group Attack under Battle System > Battle Settings, set it to Only In Battle Range, tried with Auto Select both on and off, set Auto Attack target, set Use Click (left at the default of left mouse button), and set Auto Remove. Under the combatant, I turned on Auto Attack and set it to use my attack ability.
  • The group target should only be selected automatically when you've set it up to do so.
    The attack range is defined in the ability - when you didn't set it up, there is no range used and the attack can also happen from far distances.

I'll look into a click to attack solution for one of the next updates :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I think I might've fixed the issue with attacking too early, at least with ORK 2.0.7.

Another issue, though. When I click in an area and the auto attack starts to happen, the player doesn't turn towards the enemies, so the damage zone on the player's weapon never hits the enemy. As a result, the player gets stuck attacking nothing. Even clicking elsewhere on the screen doesn't get the player to stop. I couldn't tell if there was another option I missed to fix that issue or not.
  • You'll have to rotate the combatant to it's target in the battle event you're using to animate the auto attack - one of the Rotation steps.
  • edited April 2014
    Thanks for that tip, that fixed part of my issue. I still have the issue with the player getting stuck in the attack and being unable to control them, though. I can't always duplicate it, and I'm not sure if this is an issue with the auto attack system or not. I've tried to look at the events and can't seem to find one that allows me to stop attacking if there is nothing to attack.

In addition to the above, after implementing a menu triggered with the Escape key, it stops allowing me to work after I have entered my real time battle area and had got close enough to an enemy to attack it. It also seems that once the game enters that state, even if I do move away from the battle area, it still keeps trying to attack and still won't let me hit Escape.

As an aside, while the auto attack works to a degree, I would like to only attack when I have a target selected. I know you mentioned you'd look into click to attack, but with the current ORK, can this be done without relying on auto attack? We don't want the player to attack just because an enemy gets too close to them.
    Post edited by CyberBotX on
  • edited April 2014
    I really hate to bump posts when I was the last one to post, but I really need a solution here.

I am unsure why Auto Attack is giving me so many issues. The player getting stuck when there is nothing to attack seems like it could be a bug. It only happens if Auto Attack is enabled on the combatant, and it happens regardless of the option being enabled or not in the Group Target settings.

Since I want to make sure that a Click to Attack feature is implemented, I should probably describe in more detail what I am trying to accomplish. From playing Torchlight II, here is what we need. When you click the mouse on anything that isn't an NPC or an enemy, you should move to that location. If you click on an NPC, you should move to them and initiate conversation. If you click on an enemy, you should attack them. Torchlight II also has options for allowing you to do stay still and attack, regardless of target, by holding Shift while clicking. It also has an option to only move or attack if there is a target if Ctrl is held when clicking. Also of note, if the player isn't clicking, then their character should do nothing, even if they had targeted an enemy and attacked it. Basically they should only attack if clicked on, not continue automatically.

I know the above is a bit complex. At the very least, we would like the clicking without modifier keys to function as above. At the moment, movement with clicking is working fine. I have not yet tried to see if clicking an NPC can start a conversation with them, but the Group Target + Auto Attack method is just not working out for me. I need something more like explained above.
    Post edited by CyberBotX on
  • I know this is kinda late but have you figured out how to setup the Diablo / torchlight point and click attack ? I really appreciate it