edited January 2015 in General Discussion
I know most people have more but to keep it clean maybe 3 each?

Post 3 tips that you feel are important to designing / creating a game through Unity and ORK Framework.

1. Plan ahead, be sure to plan the road from A to Z, outline for sure and a structure to work
2. Prototype is a good testing grounds
3. Stay organized

What about you?
Post edited by gamingislove on
ORK user since 2014. Patron since 2018.
  • These aren't really design tips but just development tips in general:

1. Keep working on your project(even if things get a bit sloppy)
    2. Don't worry about perfecting things or about less necessary areas such as art or music until your project is REALLY coming together
    3. Don't feature creep. Some more classically trained programmers might get caught up in optimization and good practice where it isn't the best idea or focusing on all the possibilities. This is where it's really helpful to plan ahead like OP said.
  • edited April 2014
    Have a plan---f.e., a story outline and if you're using quests, a file with all the dialogues for your quests.

Make sure all your dialogue positions look good on the screen.

Make sure your players are comfortable with the controls.

And a fourth tip--

Don't stress out too much when you encounter a problem--just let gamingislove know you have a problem you can't solve by yourself. : )
    Post edited by Catacomber on

• Here's one I've discovered while working with the ORK framework:

Don't try and circumvent the framework; rather, mold your designs around the framework and utilize ORK's strengths.

• edited September 2014
    A professional designer's greatest skill is utilizing the tools he's given, in unexpected and creative ways. My general rule of thumb is: if you're shocking or surprising the tools engineer with what you're accomplishing with his tools, you're doing a good job.
    Post edited by Kirb on
    Tactics RPG Grid Battle System for ORK
    ---------------------------------------
    Personal Twitter: https://twitter.com/AMO_Crate
    I make RFI! https://twitter.com/NootboxGames
  • After creating your level,

1. add in the details
    2. add in the details
    3. add in the details

Did I mention the details? It is the most important part of level design that almost no one does it. It is easy and sets your game apart from the rest.
  • Great tips, thanks for sharing. I'm bumping this topic to get more activity on it, ORK has seen many new users since December 2014.
    ORK user since 2014. Patron since 2018.