• No. It's actually 0.3 units above the cell they're on. The event works by using a Store Grid Cells node to store a cell, then (if that cell is empty) a Change Position node to move the User to that cell, then Grid Cell Event to execute Move To, then Set Grid Cell Combatant. It had Place At Cell disabled. When I enabled it the character pops up into the air 0.3 units when they start to move, then pop back down to the cell at the end of each step before popping back up into the air if they're taking another step. Alas, it happens too fast to be comical. : P
    Could this be related to any of the settings in the Change Position node?

They do use abilities on the dead targets. The abilities in question target areas (1 hex right in front of the combatants, that's how the basic attacks are set up.) It hadn't occurred to me to check the AI (which is very simple). I'll double check that. : )
  • Alright. how do I filter out dead targets before doing grid move stuff?
    Currently the first battle AI that executes is an extremely simple one designed to pick a target for the AI:
    Clear Found Targets
    Get Nearest : Found Targets: Keep, Target: Enemy, Use Grid Distance, ignore size cells.
    Battle AI: (the one that moves towards the target)
    How do I add a filter to the Get Nearest so that it will ignore dead targets? Is there a check for that or should I set up enemies so that death triggers a status change that can be checked?
  • edited February 2021
    Hm, could depend on the Change Position node, but also on stuff going on before it. Could be gravity related, e.g. moving without adding gravity or having rigidbodies disabled (if they handle the gravity). Hard to tell without knowing the details :)

Use a Check Status node first to to only have alive combatants in your found targets (status needed Death and Is Dead disabled). The rest of the nodes would just operate on the found targets via found targets Check and target None.
    Since Get Nearest only gets a single combatant, you need to first filter the list before getting the nearest one :)
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I got the AI working. In the process discovered that my Initiative formula wasn't working the way I thought it was, which was eye-opening. With Multi-turn, everyone's turn value is reset to 0 at the end of each persons turn, and then modified by the formula based on their own status values, and then the person with the highest (or lowest) turn value goes? Am I understanding that right? If so is there a way to take their previous turn value into account?

As per the floating people problem: I'll check all of the rigid body and character controller and collider settings and how they line up with the event settings again. But, in case I don't find it, for knowing the details would it be better for me to type out all the settings for the various components and event nodes here or send you a stripped back project (again)? : )
  • No, multi-turn will only reset the combatant who's turn it was to 0 and increases everyone's turn value via the formula (including the one that was reset).

Stripped down project would probably be best - it's always faster to actually see the issue myself instead of having to recreate it in one of my test projects :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Okay... is there a way to put a debug in somewhere to tell me what peoples turn values are? I put one into the formula but I guess it's only returning the value of the formula, so only returning what the difference should be. I had a weird anomaly where, in a battle with 9 combatants, 2 of them stopped having turns after their second turn even after I'd gotten to most other characters being on their 20th-30th turns. I played around with some stuff and concluded it might be a result of how I had initiative set up (I was using invert turn order and guessed that they'd rolled a high enough initiative that it never got back around to them.)

I'll get to work on a stripped back project. It may be a few days. :)
  • You can view the turn value of a combatant via the inspector, it's visible in the Battle Information foldout of the Combatant Component :)
  • Is there a way to use a Store Grid Cells node to store the targeted cell for a ranged ability that targets a single cell?
    I have an ability with
    Use Range : Template, Grid Range 10 (which uses Grid Shape, Shape type Range, Range 10)
    Affect Range : Calculation, Range type Template, Template 1 hex (uses a mask to mark only the Selected Origin Cell of the mask)

So you can select one cell within range 10 to use the ability on. I'd like to be able to Store that cell using a Store Grid Cells node in the attacks animation event so that I can pull it's occupant to check their status values and have them perform animations like the damage animation or the defend animation.
  • The Target actor should already be the game object of the selected cell, i.e. you can just get the cell/combatant from there via the Store Grid Cells node.
  • edited March 2021
    Yeah, but what settings do I use on the Store Grid Cells node? I'm assuming that Store Cells should be Battle Range Template, but what range template should I use?

Also I seem to be having more problems with this ability than anticipated. It seems to hit ALL targets within range 10. I just want it to shoot 1 person in 1 grid cell somewhere within range 10. It's a ranged basic attack.

EDIT: nvm, I figured it out and got it working. Swapped Origin Object to Actor : Target instead of Actor : User.
    Post edited by Whatexists on
  • I'm making an ability that's a sort of melee range cone ability. I want it to originate from one of the three hexes in front of the user of the users choice and then fill a cone going forward from there. It basically works, I've got the templates all set up and all of that. But if an enemy is in one of the targetable origin hexes the cone emanates from them in the direction they're facing instead of going out away from the user. Is there a way to change that? I found the "From User" checkbox under Affect Range Setting, which is almost what I want, but doesn't really allow the cone to be shot in any of the three forward hex directions.
  • Is this for use range or affect range of the ability?
    The use range is always based on the user.

The affect range is usually based on the target, but can optionally also be based on the user.
  • edited April 2021
    it's for affect range. I've got a mask that covers the origin cell, the three cells in front of that, and 5 cells in front of those 3. I would like to be able to place the origin cell in one of the three hexes in front of the user, pointing in that direction. When I turn on the "from User" checkbox (under affect range) it places the origin cell of the mask on the user's cell, rather then the cell selected in the use range. Now, the ability works exactly the way I want it to if "from user" (under affect range) is not checked, except if an enemy is occupying the targeted cell of the use range, in which case it still uses that cell as the origin cell for the affect range mask, but it re-orients the mask based on the enemy's orientation.
    Post edited by Whatexists on
  • I think I understand the goal - in that case, don't use From User in the affect range, use In User Space in the grid shape's settings instead (available when using a Mask shape type), i.e. either in the battle range template you've set up or the custom range of the ability's affect range.
  • Alright. it's almost right not but quite. I was struggling to figure out how to describe what it's doing versus what I want it to do, even though I'm sure it's probably as simple as clicking a button somewhere I haven't found yet. So I made a few pictures. =)

In the pictures below the green hex is the user's hex, and the arrow indicates the direction xe is facing. The first image is what I'm looking for for initial targeting (which is currently working correctly) where you can place the ability as originating in any one of the front three hexes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kCwbI3qMhr_RxKu9P1ZrqirVT2GOnzcg/view?usp=sharing

So what it's currently doing is that the map will place in that origin as follows (with each image correlating with selecting the central, left, or right targetable hex respectively):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W5EO4Gznvs_suNc9tInKCL35PDrYTWGK/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Bgd_WAdHNeRprVoOncmQra1SrBDlAWh0/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d0cJnjWa6ZBfxyq-qg-eKM71lh-L3MNz/view?usp=sharing

What I'd like it to do is shift the oriantation of the mask with each one like in the following three (respective to the targeted hex as above):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W5EO4Gznvs_suNc9tInKCL35PDrYTWGK/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wP5mstinuDXGxqbojaligSy5rx577YvF/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m26B292H_nd3fkP54ltIvcwyJr_WrpiF/view?usp=sharing

Does that make sense? Can you access those images? (I'm not totally sure how to upload images properly)