Hi,

I have decided to try my hand at a 3d Roguelike using ORK Framework and the first (of many) questions that has come to mind is how to implement the "unidentified items" of traditional Roguelikes.
In a traditional Roguelike, whenever you acquire a potion/scroll/magic object it has a generic description e.g. "Sparkling Red Potion"; only when you use an "Identify Scroll" or pay a NPC to identify the object does it reveal its true nature e.g. "Healing Potion +10" or "Potion of Paralysis" and, for that run of the game, all Sparkling Red Potions are turned into Healing Potion +10.
Is there any way to implement this using ORK Framework or, if not, could someone suggest another way of implementing this?

Thanks
  • There's currently no way to automatically change all items like that. I think your best option is using Requirements for the item's use, e.g. using a bool game variable to mark them as being identified.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Hi GiL,

I can see the Requirements working for only being able to use the item once it is identified (not strictly Roguelike, as part of the strategy is using unknown objects to see what happens) but I am more concerned with the Item description in the Inventory and World at this point.
    If I define an Item as "Sparkling Red Potion" and distribute it about the World, that Item would have a unique Item ID (lets say X); when a player picks up a "Sparkling Red Potion" and uses an Identify scroll it is revealed as "Healing Potion +10" (Item ID Y): could I then use a script to replace all instanses of Item ID X in the World with Item ID Y?
    Of course, this mapping of unknown Item to known Item, would have to be randomised at the start of each run.
  • That might be difficult ...

You could use a (global) string variable for the item's name and have it replaced that way, but replacing an item game-wide isn't possible without massive workarounds ...
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!