Hello,

I installed footstepper and I followed the tutorial + downloaded the demo to check if everything was OK but no way to make the footsteps work without auto play checked (which gives a sound not very synchronized with the steps)
So I have a few questions:

-is configuring sprites in the texture terrain essential?
I have nothing but textures and gameobject on the testing ground.

- I put a single footstepp sound in the footstepp material section walk (because apparently it takes it for running and sprinting if left empty), is this a problem?

-Finally concerning the sound, why does it only launch in auto play?
  • Did you set up playing the footsteps?
    When not using auto play, you'll usually use animation events to play them.

No, sprites don't need to be configured for terrains, as they only use textures.
    Sprites are mainly used for 2D games, e.g. in a tilemap or other level architecture.

No, using a single sound isn't a problem.
    Just make sure that you don't have any 'empty' fields (i.e. remove the not needed fields via the Size of the array). Otherwise that'd just play nothing :)

Sound only playing in auto play is most likely due to not setting up any other way to play footsteps (or not setting it up correctly). I'd need to know more about your setup to help there :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • So I still used an auto play because with event animations the sound between two steps was too big as if the sound of the second step was waiting for the first step to end before playing. Is this possible?
  • No, that's not possible. Footsteps are fire-and-forget, i.e. one footstep doesn't influence the other in any way.

The only thing having an impact on this is the Time Between setting, which lets you define a minimum time between footsteps, i.e. if another footstep comes in this timeout it'll not be played.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Ok that's what I thought then ^^
    Meanwhile I found the nature of the problem, it seems that the raycast was not big enough. I had to put the raycast at 2 + an offset at 0.5y in the footstepper + foot IK so that the sounds occur at the good interval.
  • I have another weird thing with footstepper
    I've configured with auto play and was working on a scene,on the others scene I add a footstepper manager but nothing happen.
    Other thing i don't understand ,I deactivated the gameobject footstep manager of my scene where it worked and there, the sound of the steps still works even though I have no event in animator.
  • Footstep managers are optional and only used for prefab pooling and as fallbacks to find footsteps for texture/sprite.