Hi there! I've been considering purchasing ORK 3 for a game project my small team is working on, but I'd really appreciate to have a few simple (and rather embarrassing) questions answered.

Background: We're working on a retro-style RPG in the vein of classics such as Dungeon Master, Might & Magic, Wizardry etc. So, 3D tile based movement, a separate battle screen, also a separate 2D overland map etc, up to four members to a party. Lots of variety regarding equipment (prefixes, suffixes, instanced gear) and skills (skill collecting, skills impacting UI - mapmaking gives you a minimap, orientation gives you a compass, magic sense gives magical objects an outline - that sort of thing). We've been working on a prototype using RPG Maker MV with MV3D BabylonJS based plugin but it seems this platform is too limited for what we have in mind, especially regarding 3D which is really buggy there... As a lead dev/programmer I've got experience primarily in GameMaker Studio II and also a smattering of other languages, such as C# JS etc. I've had no experience in Unity though so anyways, here are the questions:

1) How open is ORK framework? In the sense that can I use it only for parts of the game? For example, can I integrate separate 2D overland movement with 3D display when I arrive at a location?

2) Corollary - can I develop my own battle system in C# from scratch and "plug it in" the ORK game?

3) How much access to C# scripting can I achieve from ORK? For example if I want to add a new set of mechanics to gear (like durability for example?)

Sorry for asking such noob questions but these are rather important to us.. The prime reason for switching from RMMV is that we couldn't achieve the level of customization we required there. ORK sounds great to us as a perfect base to build upon, but we do need to be sure we can build upon it without going crazy in the process. :) Thanks!
  • I agree, ORK Framework feels like it's the next step up after RPG Maker, and then GameMaker Studio.

1. ORK doesn't affect your project until you want it to. Unlike other frameworks, it doesn't require any special project settings, so there are no compatibility issues. You could make a game like Super Mario Bros. and then later decide to just use ORK to launch a battle scene when you jump on an enemy, for example. Come to think of it, Super Mario RPG was like that.

2. Well, I guess so. There are other already-existing battle system assets that mimic Dark Souls, for example. If you wanted to use something like that with ORK, it can be made to work. Integrations are not really beginner-friendly.

3. You gain access to the source code so you can do whatever modifications you want. I think updating the asset would require you to re-do your code changes, though.
  • Small additions:

2) You can write your own custom battle system and plug it into ORK via code extensions.

3) As said, the complete source code for ORK (and Makinom) are included - beside being able to change the source code, many of the systems can also be extended without having to do that. See the documentations on code extensions for Makinom and ORK for details on what's available to extend. ORK also has the access handler system, which lets you funnel a lot of functionality calls via an extensible system, e.g. to inject your own features or even client-server features :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited January 2023
    Thanks for your replies! I purchased ORK 3 and am off climbing that infamous learning curve. Wish me luck!

Oh and just one more thing, we'll definitely want to implement an equipment upgrade system at some point, based on slots (like add enchantments, gems and so on to weapons) - are there any quick tips on how to go about implementing this in ORK? And we'll probably be combining it with the existing equipment leveling system - any potential pitfalls/clashes to be aware of in advance?
    Post edited by kerempooh on
  • I see 2 ways to do that.

1) Use equipment slots for that, having those upgrades also be equipment. E.g. the weapon itself can give additional equipment slots to the combatant while wearing it.
    That's have those upgrades equipped on the combatant, though, not on equipment, so changing equipment will not keep the upgrades on that equipment.

2) Create a custom system that changes the weapon's status value bonuses, name or variables to impact it. This can be done via schematics.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Great, thanks!