Hi there. I posted about this in the tutorial request thread but I figured maybe I could make a general thread about it here.

Are there any super beginner-friendly tutorials out there? I have tried following the tutorials on the website but sooner or later I get completely flustered because I find myself just doing what the tutorial says to do without understanding it.

For instance, right now I'm trying the 2D RPG Quickstart because that seemed like the most basic, simple, beginner-friendly one out there. But right now I'm on 02 Player Settings. It's about when I get to this part https://orkframework.com/guide/tutorials/2d-rpg-quickstart/02-player-setup-2/#3-toc-title

That I'm like.... Okay. I can click the buttons and do what it says, but I don't feel like I'm actually learning because I'm 100% certain that if I were to try and make my own game I would have absolutely no idea that I need to go in and click these settings. Maybe it's just the way my brain works but... it just feels overwhelming and confusing.

When I'm doing a tutorial and I get that "I'm just doing what it says to do because that's what it says to do" feeling that's when I start to tune out and give up because I know I'm not going to be able to do these things on my own.

Anyway, I'm not trying to complain. They've clearly put a lot of work into all of this. I just wanted to know if anyone has any recs for something more beginner-friendly.
  • edited September 2023
    When I started I did the status system setup tutorial and then 3d rpg playground. I feel like the longer more detailed is better in the long run to get granular, but...

Much of the time I did feel the same as you. I don't think many people can just memorize all of those settings. I think there is a lot of context/ bigger picture stuff that is unclear and comes together later on where you realize that "ooh that's how these relate or what this controls" in a higher level way you get that click of epiphany.

Even after I finished the tutorial (I stopped a little early skipping some of the extra stuff / just skimming it) when I started my prototype I still had to go back and look things up in the tutorials, forums.

However I had an idea of what steps to take, what was required to setup and what applied to my use case. I still had to mirror along with tutorials to get all the basic steps in, but now I sort of see all of them as components that are demystified and understand what they do and how to use them so I'm glad I took the time to do it the way I did.

Anyway sorry that doesn't answer your actual question lol. Just saying it's a very powerful system and takes time to master.

Forum questions are answered fast, there is a discord, the documentation and tutorials search is helpful, and if the forum search is giving you trouble give Google a try for a specific topic
    Post edited by GeneralK on
  • My learning method involves attempting to understand each step of the process with a coding mindset and organizing it systematically with mind maps. The most important aspect is to slow down the pace of learning to prevent accumulating too many problems. ORK has a wide range of features, so if you want to master it, it's essential to maintain the right mindset.
  • Well, the link you posted has a lengthy part explaining how the animations are set up and what's needed to get them playing - thus the settings are as explained :)

I tried to add as much explanation to the tutorials as possible, without getting everything overly complicated. I know it's a lot to take in at the beginning, but stuff will click into place with time, especially if you follow the very, very lengthy status system setup and 3D RPG playground tutorials.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks for the response!

I'm redoing the tutorial now after having spent some time learning more about animations in general. I think it's starting to make sense. There is definitely a learning curve here, and thankfully I've learned a lot more about unity since the last time I tried the tutorial, so even though there's a lot I still don't understand, I think it's starting to make sense.
  • Yeah, ORK pretty much expects you to have at least some knowledge in those basic Unity features :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!