edited October 2023 in ORK Support
Hi there.

Been making some small steps in ORK, and wanted a little help displaying a research tree.

I've followed this Research Tree turorial and have the prefabs, which I have plaed in their correct spots.

I guess I just can't jump the conceptual divide.

Currently in the 3D Playground, I can use the default UI in ORK to research Fire Mastery.

I suppose I was expecting that the Research Tree I'd added to Fire Mastery would show up instead when I opened it in-game

It didn't :)

Can someone please give me a shove in the direction I need to go to open my Research Tree when using the 3D Playground?
Post edited by tomraegan on
  • Do you mean the research UI?
    That uses the Research (Tree View) menu part, not the list view version as in the tutorial.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited October 2023
    Does a tutorial exist where the Research (Tree View) is used, or have you got an old demo project lieing around? I just need to see it in action so I can implement my own.

I have made my own Tree View...I just need to know how to show it in-game.

Many thanks! :)
  • There's currently only the quick setup guide in the documentation available.

If you've set up the the prefabs and assigned the UI prefab to your research tree, all you need to do is use a Research (Tree View) menu part in a menu screen.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I explain things poorly, so I apologise for the repeated posts, but some things just take time. I appreciate yours, so thanks again for helping.

I have set up the prefabs and followed the linked post and integrated the tree into my combatant.

I just need some steps after that.

- How do I launch the Research Tree UI in-game?
    - If I add the tree to my existing canvas and click the buttons, will it talk to ORK?
    - Will it abide by the Research costs when I click the buttons (currently I can just click on any button in the tree and nothing really happens besides the button becoming selected...it's not talking to ORK, so I assume I'm not launching the tree correctly)
  • tomraegan said: - How do I launch the Research Tree UI in-game?
    You display it via menu screens. As said above, you use the Research (Tree View) menu part instead of the list view version (e.g. used in the tutorials) to display the tree UI instead of listing the stuff.
    tomraegan said: - If I add the tree to my existing canvas and click the buttons, will it talk to ORK?
    No, the UI objects alone don't work, they need the menu screen in the background to give them their content and handle the whole learning stuff.
    tomraegan said: - Will it abide by the Research costs when I click the buttons (currently I can just click on any button in the tree and nothing really happens besides the button becoming selected...it's not talking to ORK, so I assume I'm not launching the tree correctly)
    Only when it's used by the menu screen, otherwise it has no actual content and functionality it can call.

So, if you already have the 3D playground setup with the list view menu, simply change that menu to use the Research (Tree View) menu part instead. Naturally set up the part (e.g. selecting UI box, etc.).
  • Thanks. It works. :D

Here's what my Research Tree in the 3D Playground looks like.

To get there, follow these steps:
    Open the 3D Playground
    Follow the Research Tree tutorial and create your own prefabs in Unity.
    Finally, follow this page, which closely approximates what's required for the Research Tree, but is for the Research Item.
  • Did also wish to say that the Grid Battle System is really quite amazing. It feels professional. I'm only ever likely to scratch the surface of the system, but that's likely enough, given how good it is.
  • edited October 2023
    Skip to TLDR if you don't want a prologue:
    The last two days have been good ones for me with ORK. I've managed to get a working 3D Turn-Based Grid Battle project, and this morning I managed to get a Research Tree UI in the same mod. To many of you, this is easy. To me it's been a mildly anxiety-inducing heartache (followed by sheer delight once it worked, might I add).

TLDR
    I could use some advice. The first image below shows what I've currently got, but don't want. It's cool, and I love it, but what I want is for all of the Research Tree UIs to be displayed at the same time, in the same box. (What I'm really aiming for is for is https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/kingsbounty/images/9/9e/Might_Skill_Tree.PNG/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/250?cb=20190725082907">this with Tiered Skill Dependnecies, but one step at a time).

Here are my settings. Here's the problem...if I switch it to Merged, nothing displays inside the box. My Research Tree UIs are the multi type, but I'm not sure if that's relevant. Any advice welcome.
  • There are 2 ways to do this:

1) Set up a research tree that way, i.e. has all the research items you need.

2) Have separate research trees (e.g. with also depending on another tree's research items for interconnected conditions) and use merged display in the menu.
    Merged display uses the Research Tree UI set up in your combatant. There's a default setup for all combatants in the general combatant settings, each combatant can override that with a custom setup, a bit hidden in the combatant's UI Settings > Information Overrides > Research Tree UI.
    You also need to create the reserach UI for multi display, which uses the UI Research Tree (Multi) component instead (scene hierarchy context menu also has a separate quick setup for that).

For both, that kind of tier/dependency is based on the Research Conditions of your research tree's items.
    And don't forget, the research tree UI prefabs can be set up however you want, the first creation just gives you all the buttons/lines, which you can style and move around however you want. The Reset Lines button will also only place the lines again based on the dependencies for wherever your buttons are currently placed, so that can be very handy when moving buttons around :)
  • Ok, I'm going to give that a try. Sounds extremely cool. Just woke up.
  • edited November 2023
    Here's my ever-so-simple Research Tree Multi UI (this video last for 2 days only before self-destructing):
    https://streamable.com/11hqrj

Thanks for the guidance, GiL. This is most encouraging and I will make a little demo of how I did it after my deadline in a month or so. By that stage I may have improved my UI as well. Maybe.

ORK is slowly revealing itself as a real powerhouse. Part of me wishes I had not been so hesitatant a few months back, but that is the way things are...

• With great power comes a great amount of learning needed :D