I would like to use the Ork framework to create my game, but the problem is that my combat system is an xcom clone, and the game mechanics of xcom are really unique. So now I'm making my own custom 3D grid. So how possible is it to implement the capabilities of an ork with my grid? That is, I would like to use an AI and skills system (including AOE). And how difficult will it be to make it work together? The question is still vague and abstract, since I’m now on the way to creating a 3D grid and I’m not sure whether I should write my own subsystems such as the turn system, AI, abilities, etc., or whether I can easily make the Ork framework work with a custom 3d grid.
  • Doesn't X-Com use a square grid?
    It'd probably be a lot easier to use ORK's grid and add whatever missing functionality you need than write your own grid system.

If you want to use a custom grid, you'd need to implement all of these things (ranges, targeting, movement, AoE, etc.).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • There is a square grid (we are talking about the last two). But there are unusual mechanics. Let's start with the fact that xcom has a three-dimensional grid. And as far as I know, the Orc framework does not support them. That is, two characters can be next to each other. Also in xcom there is a special part of the grid as a cover. The point is that when you stand on a cell with cover, you not only receive protection, but your character ends up in a meta position on two adjacent cells. That is, if there is no shelter on cell x, then everything is as usual. But if there is cover in front of cell x, then the unit is technically on both the cell to the left and the cell to the right. And therefore he gets the opportunity to see and attack as if he were actually in these cells. The enemy is the same - they can see him and attack him like he on this cells. So in fact there is a lot that needs to be done, and I don’t fully understand where the point of contact between the two systems (my grid and the orc framework) will be.
  • And also a lot of little things. For example, characters can move around a cell simultaneously with other characters. That is, usually in all turn-based game movement action is blocked control. That's not in xcom. And you can move large group of units quickly. For example, such a little thing is not present in Phoenix Point and for this reason (one of many reasons) Phoenix Point is practically unplayable.
  • There are ways to handle this with the built-in grid system.

E.g. individual grid cells are just game objects you can move around however you want, and you can also adjust connections between cells to create a grid in whatever form you want, so 3D grids are possible.

Combatants can also occupy multiple cells. Beside using grid size in the combatant's settings (to e.g. have large combatants occupy multiple cells), you can use the Set Grid Cell Combatant node to add a combatant as a Guest on cells.
    E.g. you can use cell events on cover cells to have acombatant moving to them occupy the neighboring cover cells as well using this.

You can write your custom grid system, but that's a lot to do and also implement into ORK's system (source code changes needed). It's definitely doable, though.
    Altering the existing system ist most likely the easier/faster way.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!