Happy Halloween!

This is Spiral Fantasy. I'm working on releasing a demo soon.

Spiral Fantasy uses ORK Framework 3 to create a classic RPG with a world map that is 3D and infinite. @gamingislove Thank you for all your help and support.

I've also just launched my website if you'd like to know more.
https://www.tw0catsgames.com/
  • Really cool idea! Read the website and can't wait to see more!
    Miuratale : coming 2024
    Miuratale
  • imageimage

@Wrofir Thank you! I've just uploaded a new article.

It's about how to create billboard characters in Unity that achieve the same quality as Square Enix's HD2D games.
    Perfecting Unity’s Billboard Shader for HD2D - Part 1
  • edited November 2023
    That's awesome! I love Grandia, it was a huge inspiration for me. Including the 2d on 3d graphic style.

I recently did a 3d to 2d effect, certainly not as nice as true 2D Pixel art, but by using a camera, to render texture, to billboard, you can turn any 3d model into a billboard as well, with the rendertexture resolution controlling your pixelation and a script to control the framerate of the billboard cam.

Here's the result of a quick day of testing : https://i.gyazo.com/0c29450a295ce0bab16d497e63438c4c.mp4
    Post edited by Wrofir on
    Miuratale
  • @Wrofir That's really impressive! You're able to combine animations like the character walking, moving their tail and turning their head. I was almost convinced it was pre-rendered until I realised how many sprites that would need.

Today I fixed the billboard rotation on Unity's terrain grass as well. It's a lot more complicated since it required overriding the URP asset, but I'll publish an article on that soon.
  • Can't wait to see more :)
    Miuratale
  • @Wrofir Today's article is about making pixel art work in 3D, as well as how to improve the shadows on billboards in Unity.

Let me know if you'd like to play with a top-down or isometric camera.

Perfecting Unity’s Billboard Shader for 2D Characters – Part 2

• I personally like the Iso, the depth is nice
    Miuratale
    Here's the new article on how to create effects like the enemy defeat animation from Final Fantasy and the Spectre from DOOM.