Hello,
I’ve got 12 Combatants in the scene using move AI. Every few seconds I get 2 cpu spikes which cause a frame hitch from the MakinOmHandler.update. If the combatants aren’t present or I turn off the move AI I don’t get the hitches. I’m using the latest version of ORK 3, real-time battle settings. The combatants are not in combat they’re just roaming or moving to waypoint.

I’ve adjusted the decision times and the component on A*star pathfinding so they’re not constantly checking.

Is there a setting I can tweak for this as 12 combatants isn’t a lot.

Kind regards
  • Can you give me some details on your move AI's setup?
    Generally, the move AI is only doing detection stuff and lets the movement component know where to move and at what speed.

Also, try using the built-in Default movement component to see if A* pathfinding is responsible for those hikes or if it's the move AI.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks Gil,
    I’ve tried it with the default, the spike is still there but’s it’s not as visible with the frame rate hitch. I have a schematic on the combatants to set up their waypoint every 10-12 seconds. Applying a waypoint seems to make it a lot worse.
  • After some experimentation, it appears repeating a schematic on several combatants that assign a waypoint will spike the cpu. I’ve spread it out via wait times which has reduced it. Is assigning a waypoint a cpu intensive process?
  • I believe it maybe because I’m having to search object to set the location. Is there a way I can set the waypoint based on a vector3?
  • Yeah, searching for objects is heavy. If you're not using machine components (which can use pre-selected objects in the scene via the Game Object type actor), you can store those game objects into global selected data (e.g. via Auto Machine components on them using a schematic that adds the game object via Select Game Object node) and have the waypoints use those.

I'll look into adding Vector3 options for the node.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks, if anyone is looking for a work around to this in the mean time, you can spawn an empty game object at the vector 3 you want and use that as the movement target.
  • The latest update (ORK 3.16.3) already has options in the node to use positions.