Is there a way in turn based battle (Not multi) to have an ability be used and not consume a turn?
E.g. There's a 1v1 but at the end of the turn, I want a status effect to use the next action an ability. When that ability is used/triggered by the status effect, the turn value does not increase from 2 to 3.
  • There are ways to do this.

Generally, the actions per turn define how many actions a combatant can perform, and the action cost of e.g. an ability how much of that actions per turn it consumes. The default setup has 1 action per turn and an action costing 1.
    E.g. setting an ability to 0 action cost will not make it end the turn in such a setup.

Otherwise, schematics can also use actions via the Use Battle Action node.
    There are 2 ways to make this not affect the battle order - either used as sub-action of an ongoing action (has to be used by a schematic of that action) or as an action outside the battle order.
    This is done via the Add Action setting of the node, either setting it to Sub Action or Outside Battle Order.

So, if that should be based on a status effect at the end of a turn, use a Schematic status change in that effect that is used at turn end, where the schematic causes the action.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Hey GIL, I appreciate your help on this!

The third one worked closest for what I wanted.
    Using the status effect to run a schematic at battle turn end. In the schematic I have the Battle Action node using the ability with the setting Outside Battle Order.

My only problem now is that it doesn't consider the Ability's schematic's wait time before pulling up the Battle Menu UI. In other words the ability's wait time does its own thing (correctly for the ability itself, playing everything as it should) But the turn ends and pulls up Battle Menu UI to select ability; while the ability is still spawning prefabs, SFX and changing status value.

So, I'm wondering if there's something I can put in the status effect schematic (with the use Battle action node), or the ability schematic itself that could cause the Battle Menu UI to wait until the ability is finished?

Many thanks!
  • Well, yeah - that's because the status effect's turn end stuff doesn't affect that at all.

An alternative would be to use a turn end schematic for your combatants that checks for the effect and uses the Use Battle Action node here (with waiting for the action enabled).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Yes, that is true. I thought about the alternative option but since I won't be having many status effects that trigger this way, I went ahead with a schematic that hides the Battle Menu UI, and block player controls while the status effect schematic is in play.

Thank you for your help with this GIL, I'm happy with how it turned out.
    I'll soon be sharing progression of the game in the Showcase thread!