My game project uses the Direction 8 movement animation in Top Down 2D environments. I know in the past, Change Position had trouble moving the player properly, however I think I read it was fixed in an update recently? I can get the player to move correctly when using coordinate IDs however local space doesn't work.

For example, when trying to use Local Space to move the player Up by 2 units, when I set the Vector3 Y value to 2, the player character moves left instead of upwards.

For reference:

Is there something else I need to do in Change Position settings to do this properly? Do I need to use the map coordinates everytime I do it?
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.
  • edited July 2023
    Well, local space is in local space, so if the moving game object is rotated in any way, that affects the movement.
    You might want to switch to the Move Into Direction node instead.
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Okay! With using the Move Into Direction node, it seems like it's working, however the X and Y axis seem to be swapped. I assume that's because of how the 2D sprite's rotation movement is setup then? Does that seem normal to you, GiL?

Either way, like I said, I believe it's working properly now. Thanks for the help!
  • That's hard to say ... there are different ways of setting up 2D and 2D movement.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Well, as long as it works, I won't complain :P Thanks for your help as always!