Hello everyone,

I've seen a few posts on this topic here but they are all a few years old so I figured I'd ask it again.

I'm new to ORK (although I bought it a while ago) and I'd say I'm getting familiar with the basics of Unity. I'm a beginner game dev but much more of a music producer, so I am really excited about integrating my own music into my games-- and in particular using audio middleware like FMOD to make the music and audio in my game interactive.

I was wondering if there had been any updates or anyone has had any experience integrating FMOD and ORK. I have experience integrating FMOD and Unity (without ORK), but since it seems that all of the ORK audio is hard-coded to use the default Unity audio system I don't know if that would cause any problems. I'm also not sure how it would work to integrate since FMOD uses entirely different script calls for its API.

Like I said, I'm pretty beginner at the all the game dev stuff and I'm very much a beginner with ORK.

Thanks!

S
  • You can entirely skip ORK's audio use and use whatever other solution you want. With function nodes (e.g. calling a function on a component) or custom schematic nodes you can also integrate it into ORK's systems.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks! I was just looking into that.

So it looks like custom schematic nodes might be the best way to make C# method calls, right?

Anyway, I still have a lot to learn about ORK but from what I'm gathering following the tutorials, it looks like that would work in some use cases but maybe not others?

For example, I'm doing the 2D quickstart tutorial right now, and when we get to the part about setting up the UI sound effects (like the menu button press sound for ex), the only option I see hardcoded in is to select and audio file, which would play using the Unity built in audio system. Is there any way to have it call a schematic for things like this?

I'm trying to picture how it would work. For the music, it would probably make sense to just completely skip over Ork audio altogether. I'm guessing I'd build a singleton audio manager that would handle the FMOD script calls. But then it seems like for sound effects it would be much harder... The thing is, the FMOD integration package STRONGLY encourages you to disable the unity audio system and replace all unity audio listeners with FMOD ones.

I'm sure I could figure out a way to make it work somehow....

It would be really amazing in the future if there were a feature sort of like how you can choose whether to use the Unity UI system or another system, where you could choose your Audio system and be able to have event calls and other things, since audio middleware like FMOD or WWISE is pretty much industry standard, and there's so much you can do with them. (Maybe a Makinom plugin? I'm not sure.) Just having that functionality available especially for contexts where the Unity audio system is currently hardcoded in in a way that's tricky to bypass (like the UI sound effects example)

Anyway, once I'm more familiar with ORK I'll probably be able to figure out a way to make it work.
  • p.s. in the future if it were possible to have optional schematic calls any time there's an audio option hardcoded in, that would def make it easier to make things adaptable
  • There are also function nodes available (e.g. Call Function node) to call code in schematics. Since this is something you'll most likely use often, a custom node will be the better way, though.

There are a bunch of schematic options available for UI boxes, beside e.g. using schematics to animate opening/closing them, you can also use schematics on selecting and accepting an input. See UI > UI Boxes > General Settings for the schematic settings for all UI boxes, individual UI boxes can override them with custom setup.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks so much for the response. I know this is a few months old now, but I wanted to reply. I've still got a lot to learn about how schematics and funciton calls work. And I'm sorry if this is kind of a noob question but.... Is it possible to work in a schematic call for all of the contexts where ORK would normally play sound effects? Like for example in battle if there is a damage sound effect or something... There'd be a place somewhere where I could make a schematic call?

Tysm
  • And I will say again: it would be an awesome feature in future releases if it were possible to choose another audio system like FMOD or WWISE. It would just make things so much less of a hassle.
  • Yes, that's possible if you don't use the automatic sound playing (e.g. on damage) and handle that via the schematics animating the actions or their own schematics (e.g. an ability's target changes can also start a schematic on the target beside changing status values/effects).

An exchangeable audio system is noted on my list, though not sure if that'll be possible to add to ORK 3 without breaking compatibility with previous setups. So, that might be something that comes in a next major upgrade to ORK 4 in the future ...