edited March 18 in ORK Support
I want to make a battle where each team has two rows of three Combatants. I setup a grid battle where there are only 3x4 grids. I want to use the Battle Group index to store the position on the grid, but Battle Group doesn't seem to allow empty spaces in it. I also need to specify spots in the Combatant Groups to set up encounters, but that only supports the standard Battle Spots, not Grid Battle spots.

What's the best way to implement this?
Post edited by Flying_Banana on
  • There's currently no support for empty spots between combatants in the battle group, but it'll be added in future updates (not sure when, but most likely this year).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited March 20
    Say @Flying_Banana can you describe a little more what you're trying to do, if I'm not understanding here?

I have my encounters set up using Faction deployment grid cells. This is not the best idea if you're going to use faction and faction sympathy on your named/bosses or if abilities or other things are group limited, but I'm not so it works for me for spawning purposes. This also means some extra mess going on in the faction settings in editor hehe. (Feature request GiL! On the side bar in faction, list the faction names like some other settings do, or some sort of faction web thing like transitions in mecanim lol)

So I have several Grid Cell Types (for easy painting in the future instead of own deployment on cells) set to factions like Boss1, Boss2, BossGuard1, BossGuard2. Then I just change the grid cell type to whatever setup I want so like it has maybe a regular Enemy Deployment grid cell type on the first 3 rows (works for any enemy, any faction), then the back row is Guard1 | Boss1 | Guard1

Then in however the spawning is happening, like in a battle component or join node in a schematic, just set the faction on that combatant to match the cell type you want them spawning(deployed) at.

The Enemy deployment cells can spawn-steal the bosses too tho so it matters the order they're added, or you use a specific faction instead.

In my case I don't care about faction gains/loss from the boss kills, and my heals, buffs, battle AI are not group specific so the bosses still get healed. I have the Boss factions as -1000 to player faction and +1000 to every different enemy faction type so it works for any factional area / composition. But then I'll have some that are different as needed.

I also use it in my Respawn schematics (I'm doing a semi-persistent, larger grids so mobs respawn) to respawn(deploy) named mobs in their correct area on the grid, respawn mobs in their correct POIs on the map (all the undead are in the ruins, the bandits are at the farm whatever) etc.
    Post edited by GeneralK on
  • @GeneralK Essentially I have a fixed grid (2x3) where the player can choose to place Combatants on, then when the Battle gets started, the Combatants are automatically placed on the grid.

Because my grid is limited and shared for all battles, I probably can't do something that you are suggesting, although it seems like an interesting pattern for random battles!

I think I can save the positions as game variables, and for groups, I can reappropriate the optional Battle Spot as my grid index, and rewire that in my Battle Start schematic to put them on the grid properly. Some extra work, and probably not using stuff as designed, but probably will work :)
  • The Store Combatant Cell node can be used to save and load cell coordinate and direction of the combatant, so you can use this to recreate the last placement of a battle that way.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!