• Well, seems like Unity will live a bit longer - multi-engine support is still on, though :)

I've hit a few roadblocks, or rather things that make the entire process overly complicated, but that was to be expected. This'll take some time to get right and viable.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I just saw that Unity has changed its pricing model, which is more friendly for independent developers. Actually, I still hope that you will continue to focus on Ork development under the Unity version. Whether it's about revenue or other aspects, Unity is more powerful.
  • I have currently transitioned from pure Unity development to using Ork, and I really hope to continue focusing on Unity Ork development.
  • I concur about Unity, the changes now are better than before and I will personally be sticking with it. I still think it is smart to look into adapting ORK though to other engines at some point though. Wish you the best.
  • edited September 2023
    Keep in mind that all these other c# platforms combined, account for like 5% of the amount of Unity Developers :) That said, to be future proof is a smart move
    Post edited by dlevel on
  • Unreal doesn't has anything cool like Ork3, but has a good marketplace (and much better system, imo), propably there would be a lot of people interested in it. From wallet perspective, that's a clear opportunity for asset developers, now that a lot of folks are migrating over. It's a clear win on UE marketplace, maybe even on Godot or MonoGames.

For devs sticking with Unity. That's cool. We stay with Unity for at least 2 more projects too (depends on how fast the packages get ported to UE, below). It's not an engine problem, the engine itself is powerful. The CEO's are the problem, and as we seen it for the second or third time, anything can change, just out of the blue.

Also, I've talked to some devs, here are a few example libraries that will make a port to UE at least:

-PixelCrushers (Dialogue System, Quest Machine, Love/Hate)
    -UMA2
    -Broccoli Trees
    ( - Dungeon Architect is already available for years)

• @Azeth
    I get your point about Unitys CEO/Management, and agree 100%.
    But what makes you believe that Unreal wont do anything greed driven in the future too? Its also just a regular company which looks to increase its profits as much as possible.
    People here act like switching from Unity to Unreal is a safe bet to avoid getting scammed by greedy CEOs.
    The only real switch would be an open source engine and not another billion dollar company.
    Anyway - i just hope ORK continues to be as amazing as it is right now.
    Cheers
  • @Monkey_A_C The neat thing is, I don't trust them either. Nor do I trust MonoGame, etc. As you said, they are companies, wanting to make money. Wouldn't even trust Godot. I would literally trust only my own engine which is non-existent, and will propably never exist.

But: The only thing that makes me somewhat place a bet on them, is Epic Games, because they are actually encouraged to get your games up there.

The only drawback is their rather lacking marketplace.

From my perspective, the currently most viable step is to migrate to Unreal (after we are done with our 2 projects in Unity), as it is the best fit for our upcoming projects, and if they don't change their business practices, then we could settle in there for years (by we, I mean my team). Godot is cute, but it's just that, compared to Unreal. I have the best hopes for them, and I do believe that they should get even more support, but when it comes to gamedev then, currently ->
    1.) Unity (literally just because Ork3, PixelCrushers, Uma, Broccoli Trees).
    2.) Unreal. Only second because the above mentioned libraries are not available there. All of them are being ported to Unreal in the future.
  • Small Status Update
    I've overcome most of the roadblocks from last time - still a few things to look into before I can start a full blown rework of the whole system.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Glad to hear no show stoppers :)
  • But what makes you believe that Unreal wont do anything greed driven in the future too? Its also just a regular company which looks to increase its profits as much as possible.
    People here act like switching from Unity to Unreal is a safe bet to avoid getting scammed by greedy CEOs.
    The only real switch would be an open source engine and not another billion dollar company.
    The difference is Unity went public since 2020, gave its founders the boot and trying to appease shareholders, Unreal is made by a private company that's majority owned by the current CEO since the release of 1998's Unreal and founding the company.

Unreal CEO is a bit different since he knows what it's like to be a game developer and a programmer. I remember when UE3(or the free version UDK) licensing changed from upfront payments then $19 per month then the 5% royalty of today. Love him or hate him, Unreal Engine thrived for 25 years and has been pushing out features and tech advancements for game developers primarily.

Now that Unity is trying to put out the fires they pour gasoline that is the runtime fees backlash, I certainly trust the Unreal CEO more than ever. While Godot is a good alternative, it's not at the level where it can be considered as a serious commercial game engine yet.
  • edited September 2023
    But: The only thing that makes me somewhat place a bet on them, is Epic Games, because they are actually encouraged to get your games up there.
    You'll be surprised at Unreal Engine's toolset. There are times that I had to tell myself "Unreal probably has some built-in functions to do what I'm looking for" thus saving me the need to code something from scratch like I always do in Unity. Once you get over that Unity mentality hurdle and finally clicks, you do feel that Unreal Engine wants to build your game quick with the battle-tested tools it gives you. Tools that I wished Unity had instead of them dwindling their thumbs around half-baked URP/HDRP pipelines and such or buying a $1.6 billion VFX studio that has little to no benefits to game developers.
    Post edited by Raiulyn on
  • @Raiulyn Yupp, exactly. I was amazed how many built-in stuff there is in UE. Compared to Unity, I had to buy those things, and they rarely work together, by default. And the Asset Store is a hell. Buy VFX? Half of them doesn't works by default and I have to fix them to see if I need that particular effect or not, because something changed, and the dev didn't maintained it for 2 years, but it's still on the store. Also, I like programming, but when I have to push out games (with a team of 3), then I have to select the features I have to develope, and why reinvent the wheel? So, we arrive at the second circle of hell, combining said asset store packages, and I'm not flaming on the asset developers, because they just give solutions to problems, while Unity does fail to give the best possible starting ground for it:
    - You want serialized dicts? Odin. But it messes up a lot of custom editors by other 3rd party assets. Also, it has a weird business model. Nope. Bye to dictionaries in the editor. This should be a built-in stuff anyways.
    - Character controlling: GameCreator2 Core does a lot of cool stuff with humanoids, and has a lot of quality of life stuff, but comes with its own visual scripting approach, which I actually growed to hate (even so that I learned to bend their packages to my will). Stripping that out would be hell of a work. Unreal does 90% of it built-in.
    - Nova UI? Sure, I like to work with it, it's really great and easy after 2-3 weeks of usage. It's so new that nothing really supports it. And that's clearly their most burning problem, as they would have to convince other store developers to make an integration package.
    - Pixelcrushers packages: Actually...so far I'm 100% happy with them (after I got over that they partially use Lua). No built-in Nova UI support (so far). This should be the only Unity UI solution.
    - Makinom2/Ork3: With Pixelcrushers it fulfills around 75% of my needs for a good rpg. Sure, another visual script solution, but it's actually pretty good. It's massive, and compared to it's size and possibilities, the tutorials and videos are rather lacking. I mean, when I have to teach Ork to my team, I propably will consider chain-smoking. Also no Nova UI support. Does have Quest/Dialogue system too, but (imo) Pixelcrushers is superior. There are support packages from PixelCrushers to bridge them together, so it's cool.
    - UNode. Best visual script solution I've seen so far for Unity, and the only when I would approve for my team to use (they are not programmers). But, it's a paid asset, so propably no-one will build his/her asset store solution around it, same for Odin. So, everyone does their own visual script solution, becuase Bolt/Flow/Unity Visual Scripting is a mess. This should be the built-in visual script solution. Like, Blueprints in Unreal.
  • @Azeth The fact that Unity doesn't have serialized dictionary amuses me.
    When the Unity peers tell me Unreal is too bloated, I point out how heavy Unity relies on the asset store to supplement missing features and having different assets from different developers would have bloated your Unity project anyways.
  • @Raiulyn That's what I'm currently working against in our project. I don't have too much experience in UE, but if I remember correctly, there is an option to Migrate parts of your project into another project, with only the needed dependencies, which looked like a miracle to me.