• Hm, it could also be a HUD that's displayed ... check your HUDs which use the GUI box and enable No Display to prevent them from showing. If that removes the GUI box, that's your culprit :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • There it is, that did the trick. Funny sometimes how it's just a little thing that fixes it all, really appreciate it.

A comment about that No Display option though, will that mean my battle HUD will not display? Or will that still display upon a battle event being triggered?
  • No Display means no display, i.e. it'll no longer be displayed - it's a good way to disable a HUD instead of removing it, e.g. to test things like this out.

Since that's the issue, you'll now have to look into the HUD's display conditions, since it's your battle HUD, it should only display during battles and not during out of battle events, I assume :)

So, disable No Display again and check out the display conditions, e.g. referencing the game tutorial's HUD display conditions.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • That seems to be working amazing thank you. I did however run into an issue now with my GUI.

I have my inputs setup so my left mouse click is the confirm button and will activate an input with mouse selection. I have my GUI boxes setup to change to a different texture when a button is selected, like in this image here: https://i.imgur.com/RZB1wpD.png

It works very well at first but after the first menu selection, it will not show my mouse being active over any button again until I click out of the GUI box or right mouse click. After that it will work like normal and show the sprite swap on mouse hover. Any idea what may be causing this?
  • Hm, are you using New UI or the Legacy GUI?

Might be that this is due to the GUI box not being focused? There's an option to Select Unfocused in the choice selection settings of the GUI box.
  • I'm using Legacy GUI, I do have the Select Unfocused option checked and the issue persists. It will seemingly focus on one active button only after selecting one from the first battle menu. In order to get it to swap on hover I need to right click or click out of the GUI to reset it seemingly.
  • That's strange - the legacy GUI always has the selected choice highlighted (and there's always a choice selected).

Is this within the same combatant's battle menu (e.g. going into the ability list) or between different menus?
  • edited August 2020
    This is within the same combatant's battle menu yes. When going into any secondary option (skills list, bag, etc) it will do this.

Is there any settings I can send you that will help resolve? It wouldn't be a setting I have setup in my skin for the GUI would it?
    Post edited by supportreport1 on
  • Do you use a Selected Choice GUI skin in your default GUI skin (or the GUI box override) settings?
  • edited August 2020
    Yes I do. Would that throw it off? I have it in the override settings for that specific GUI box.

Edit: Got it sorted out. Turns out I had my set GUI boxes in my actual battle menu settings swapped around causing it to glitch out like that. Works perfect now. Thanks for the assistance!
  • edited August 2020
    Hello again.

Have a couple more issue I'm running into.

1. Setting up Mecanim Animations for my Combatants in Battle and I can't seem to get them to trigger correctly. Following this tutorial here: http://orkframework.com/tutorial/gameplay/mecanim-animations/

Everything appears to be in place correctly in the controller and linked up accurately in line with what those instructions in that tutorial say, but when using a Skill, Receiving Damage, or Dying my Combatant Animations will not play. It plays the initial entry and Idle animation but doesn't transition when using a Skill, or taking Damage or Death. Even when using a Combatant Animation node in an event calling the Animation to Trigger will not activate it. Any idea what could cause this? Everything is linked up to my Comatant in the Prefab as well as in the Combatant Animation settings changed to Mecanim Animations like the tutorial said. I also tried using the Wait Node solution as mentioned in that tutorial and it still didn't work.

Another note on that, in my battle event right now I'm spawning combatants until I get battle groups setup. Is there any reason why my spawned enemy would be functioning differently? I have animation speed on my entry animation for my player combatant and it functions correctly but the enemy spawns with the same animation at the same normal speed. Any thoughts?

Here is the Animator: image

2. When using my skills or items, everything appears to happen all at the same time rather than a turn by turn thing. I have turn order setup according to a formula but it seems like it plays out both actions of ally and enemy combatants at the same time. Will battle events be the way to get these to play out one at a time or is it another option I'm missing?

Thanks for the help!!

• Something to keep in mind with Mecanim is that it doesn't report any animation play times back, i.e. the wait options in ORK's nodes are useless and will not wait for the animation to continue - unless you set that up in ORK's Mecanim animation setup.

E.g. using a Fixed duration or finding the play time based on the used animation clip.

That might be the solution to both issues you're having.
  • edited August 2020
    That works beautifully, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I actually did have the fixed option setup but it turns out my parameter names were accidentally lowercase whereas my actual parameter's had capitals at the beginning...

Anyways thanks for saving me the headache.

I wanted to ask about another issue I had come up.

In my battle right now I don't have battle groups setup yet so I'm just spawning an enemy combatant. This combatant is the same combatant as I've been using to test combat out. The problem is, is that the enemy combatant seems to follow a separate formula entirely.

For example when I use an attack from my ally combatant I added in, and even calculating it in the formula is comes out to roughly 16% or 50 damage in this example. This plays out accurately, but then when the same combatant but an enemy uses the move it does over 2,000 damage. Is there any reason why it would be using a separate damage formula? I have it set to take the level settings from my combatant so it in theory should be the same stat wise correct? Any thoughts?
  • Hm, check the combatant's stats, equipment and other information in-game via the inspector. If both player and enemy have the same, they should do the same damage.

A damage formula's result isn't the final damage, though - it can be manipulated by the (optional) use of attack/defence attributes.
  • edited August 2020
    Yep taking a look over everything they have the same information. I even tested it with turning my attributes off and it still does ridiculous damage even though the Formula calculates it out to be a value of 16 which I'm using as a percentage subtracted from the Targets HP. But instead it just one shot kills the target seemingly no matter what I change right now.

Edit: Fixed it. Apparently it had something to do with the Formula settings I currently had setup for my Critical Hit %.

While we're on the topic of Attributes. I have a "Typing" system similar to Pokemon, I want it to show a GUI box displaying whether the damage was effective or not. Is there a method to do this I may be overlooking?