• edited October 2021
    Will each change have requirement checks outside of just checking a status change. For example a variable check or input check?

Also is it possible to get the stat values to be set by a variable instead of a direct value? For example having CSV data that holds the starting stats for combatants be transferred into the status development or set directly on the combatants.
    Post edited by relenting_1 on
    Portfolio - My Website
    Follow my project on Reddit - My Game DevLog
    relentingVids - My YouTube Channel
    Half Super Shop - My Shop
  • @gamingislove I am on beta9 and noticed my ui box prefabs had missing ui box components due to compiler errors, after some investigation i decided to delete them and recreate them from scratch. No errors when editing them in the scene, but as soon as i create a prefab out of a box, the prefab one gets the ui box component missing.
  • @relenting_1
    They currently have the same status checks as the previous status value/effect changes had.

I'll look into adding support for more value types for status development or initial values of stats.

@Vlastan
    Hm, which Unity version are you using?
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I would like to make a request. In Unity/C# there are event listeners that fire when a certain action happens such as button click or mouse click. The best thing about these event is the action only happens when the event is executed instead of monitoring the action every frame or every second. Makinon/Ork already has this type of machine but the event system could be used for more specific actions, such as execute when a specific variable/value has been changed.

I want to purpose a new machine that will only activate when a certain variable or ork data (such as status/equipment/item/combatant) has been changed.

I came to this conclusion when I was trying to find a way to track money spending but the only solution I could find was to have a machine running every frame or second just to keep track of a value change. I believe such a machine would be extremely helpful, especially since it only executes when the value changes.

Here is information about the event system I'm referring too.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/standard/events/
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnityEvents.html
  • @Dre788 Would a Tagged Machine work after any the variable change. You can just start the Tagged Machine with the Start Tagged Machine Node on the any other schematic that changes the variables you desire.

In your example just put a money variable check on your schematic that may change your money and connect a Start Tagged Machine to the success slot. That way it’s only called at that point money is changed.

Hope this helps or gives you an option that may work for what you’re looking for.

Cheers! =]
    Portfolio - My Website
    Follow my project on Reddit - My Game DevLog
    relentingVids - My YouTube Channel
    Half Super Shop - My Shop
  • @relenting_1
    Yes, it's possible to manually keep track of when a variable changes during the game. But this process is time consuming and repetitive. In the case of ork currency, it would be especially difficult to keep track when a player buys or sells with currency. In my case, I wanted to record each time the currency was changed and add it to a list. An Event Listener for variables and values would make this much more seamless since it happens automatically and it avoids unnecessary and repetitive scripting.
  • @gamingislove Is there a text code we can use for display purposes for the Save File Description?

Similarly, is there a way to gather which combatants and associated info the player had at the time of saving? For example, Trails from Zero save files show the current members in the party along with an image from the area:

Wild Arms Alter Code F goes a little further and shows the actual combatants in the party along with a portrait and their status values:

• @Acissathar
    You can accomplish most of this with clever variables. Since variables are saved per slot, the data will stay consistent with each save. So you can maintain custom variables of each party member's hp, mp, lvl, name and use text mesh icons to display faces. It's a bit more complicated to take an in game screen shot and display it per save. That will require custom coding, maybe using a hud to call the screen shot based on a saved variable value.

Here is how I have my save menu set up based on what I've mention above.
  • @Dre788 Awesome, I appreciate the break down! I'm more after what your save / Wild Arms does than a screenshot so that should be perfect.

I think I understand how to go about it for the most part, but the question I have is how do you go about accessing the variables that are stored under a save file to know which info to display?

If they are just globals, I can understand how we have it available at the time and when/where to maintain them as you mentioned, but not sure how we would go about displaying the different info in Save Slot 2 vs Save Slot 3 for example?
  • edited October 2021
    Acissathar said: I think I understand how to go about it for the most part, but the question I have is how do you go about accessing the variables that are stored under a save file to know which info to display?
    In Save Game Setting -> File Info -> Name and Description. The global variables used there are displayed based on the data saved in the file. You can only use global data there.

The name and description is used for every save slot. If the variable is empty nothing will be displayed so you don't have to worry about information displaying you don't want showing up. It's entirely possible to just use variables to make your save file only show certain information based on the progress of the game.
    As far as presenting the data, you're going to have to get creative. Text mesh gives you some pretty good freedom but it would be nice to have additional description options.

@gamingislove Edit: I just realized the description for save files can't be displayed in the gui box for buttons. I was just using the name section only so I wasn't aware of the limitation.
    Post edited by Dre788 on
  • edited October 2021
    @Dre788 Interesting, I appreciate all of the info and will take a dive into it. Thank you!

Edit: @gamingislove Is there a way to use the File Info Description with the new UI? I can stuff all of the info into the File Name box, and that will display in the Input prefab content, but there doesn't appear to be a way to show the Description box info itself. For reference, it appears to display fine with ORK 2 in the Demo project, but that is using OnGUI for what it's worth.
    Post edited by Acissathar on
  • @Dre788
    Currently you can use a Game Object Manager or Component Manager to enable/disable machine based on these conditions. Combined with an Auto Machine with start type Enable will do the trick.

I'll look into adding a new machine to combine that into a single component.

@Acissathar
    The description of save games can currently only be displayed by Description Content added to UI boxes. You can e.g. add that to a UI box via the scene hierarchy context menu: Makinom > UI Box > Content > Description

This'll display the description of the currently selected input.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • @gamingislove Do I have it set up wrong and I'm misunderstanding, or is it currently not working?

(Ignore how ugly everything looks lol)

File Info Description:

Description not showing for File

No description checkbox like most settings have?
  • Hm, might be that save file descriptions are currently not added, I'll look into it :)